Need your experienced opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I've had a chance to dive both Grand Cayman while on a cruise vs. flying in...My "while on a cruise" assessment of Grand Cayman is skip it, don't waste your time. it's nothing to write home about. Your going to end up diving within a stonesthrough of the cruise ship and the main port...

I think that's why Dogbowl suggested trying to make arrangements with a local operator (see below) rather than a cruise ship excursion, but it can be difficult due to the timing. Grand Cayman doesn't have a cruise ship pier and passengers are tendered into port, so it probably takes a little time.

If you meet a dive buddy on the boat you could share a taxi to Turtle Reef and Macabucca to do a very nice shore dive (or two) for only about $15 CI for a tank and weights and have a good lunch right there when or between dives. Are you bringing the rest of your gear with you? I don't recommend the Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto shore dive that is very near the harbor. It has been beaten up a lot, but there is a lot of fish life and if you are going during the Spring, you might be able to catch the bloom of the Silversides.

Cozumel has a huge cruise ship pier - they may have 2 of them?! - so might be able to get off the ship quicker and hook up with a local dive op, I don't know.

I don't have experience with cruise ship dive excursions, but I have heard that they can be very expensive and don't always take you to the best spots - but I'm sure that they will get you back to the boat on time.

...Depending on the time your ship is in port, it may be difficult (but not impossible) to find a local dive operator to take you diving (as opposed to the ship affiliated operator)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom