Need WIDE fins, have big (sore) feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfrost

New
Reaction score
I have a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jet Max Fins, great fin. But I have a wide foot and when I wear these fins with a dry suit and boots over the dry suit feet, I can barely get the darned things on. It's quite frustrating as when I am under water and get a cramp, I lose focus on my breathing and buoyancy.... By the end of the dive, my feet have cramped so badly that I just can't wait to get them off.

My feet are about a 12 long and 13 (or more) wide.

Is there anything I can wear over the dry suit feet instead of cold water boots which still have a stiff sole to protect the dry suit??

Alternatively, what good quality fins have a wider pocket for my (sore) feet???

Thanks!!

I have a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jet Max Fins, great fin. But I have a wide foot and when I wear these fins with a dry suit and boots over the dry suit feet, I can barely get the darned things on. It's quite frustrating as when I am under water and get a cramp, I lose focus on my breathing and buoyancy.... By the end of the dive, my feet have cramped so badly that I just can't wait to get them off.

Is there anything I can wear over the dry suit feet instead of cold water boots which still have a stiff sole to protect the dry suit??

Thanks!!

Did you look at the new Scubapro fins:idk:They have a wider pocket. or look at the turtles, they are a nice fin, very big pocket.

Thanks!!

Ouch, that's most unfortunate. To be on the safe side do some research on the type of fins you might like, eg apollos, atomics or whatever fin you might think you'll like. Ask around your local lds on if they carry the fins. Then take your booties/dry boots n do a fit on them, support the lds if the price is reasonable :).

SangP

support the lds if the price is reasonable :).

SangP

Thanks folks, I will check out those brands and see what I can find. Someone else suggested Turtles to me so I'll check them all out.

My local shops (BC, Canada) are good but very, very expensive compared to the US. I support them when I can but, unfortunately, was able to purchase my last fins across the border (in the US) for less than half the price I would have paid for them locally.

Thanks!!

I have just moved to a drysuit and the only fin I could get that fit the huge attached boot was a new SP JET. I would suggest giving the new Jets a try. I think the drysuit boot was 15 (to accommodate my foot plus cold water sock) just to give you an idea.

check out the new hollis fins, they have a huge pocket.

FWIW, I wanted to get the new Hollis fins but they were way too small. The new Jets are way bigger (even though I like the look of the F1 better).

Tfrost, why not take your foot out of the equation?. Really..having a fin hanging off the end of your foot causes cramps and makes no sense. Force fins fit by width but by lenght.Force Fin

tfrost,

I would suggest you follow Bob's recommendation above, and look at the Force Fins. They have a different feeling kick, but the foot pocket can accommodate just about anything; I've seen them worn over dry suits being used in the Antarctic at McMurdo Sound.

SeaRat

Last edited:
John, different than what? Maybe you mean a different feel when you kick. Like you do not feel the drag of the fin like you do with all other fins. If you went into a restaurant and you asked the waiter about a certain meal and he states it's different...what's that mean? You know it's different. People tend to go with the flow and different has a very negative connotation. This wording was used by a dive magazine years ago. It creates an uncomfortable thought. If I did any thing in this fin market it was to remove your foot from being part of your aquatic experience and that created a different - freeing - feeling when you kick! Off to look at our White House again and check out Lincoln Memorial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom