Need to worry or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve68

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought an Aqualung Legend LX from the LDS. He assembled and tested it. He knew I was going south, so he said that the 144 psi IP was okay. He said when I get back that he would adjust it to 135 for local (ontario) diving.

Some of the posts that I've read have me a bit concerned. This is the highest regarded dive shop around here. Is he fudging me?

Steve68:
I recently bought an Aqualung Legend LX from the LDS. He assembled and tested it. He knew I was going south, so he said that the 144 psi IP was okay. He said when I get back that he would adjust it to 135 for local (ontario) diving.

Some of the posts that I've read have me a bit concerned. This is the highest regarded dive shop around here. Is he fudging me?

No I don't think he is fudging you. Great reg and it delivers almost too much air at the default IP from the factory.

I detuned mine a bit after some winter troubles and it still outbreathes my apeks regs at their factory setting. I just left it like this when I brought it down south. Why fix what still works great.

This IP shouldn't be a problem. There will always be a little fluctuation. Rather higher than lower for sure. The only thing that may bother you is if the 2nd stage is set too loose and it will cause it to freeflow in the colder water. Sometimes guys will try and set it too loose so that when the LP seat wears in a little it will begin to leak a little.

Suprised you didn't get the Supreme diving up here and all...

Thanks for the responses. Someone else had posted that it should always be at 135, so I was just a little worried about freeflows. I did get the supreme version actually.

Once again, thanks.

1) Book says set the IP close to 135 psi. 144 sounds not right.
2) My Legend LX breath really smooth with 135 psi setting. Why 144psi?
3) If 144psi makes freeflow, and then you have to adjust your second to stop it. Why not just lower the IP first.

ps. I thought Mares Abyss's 138-142psi IP setting is the highest, am I right?

Most regulators will work within a fairly wide range of IP's. The older unbalanced diaphragm first stage IP could vary 20 to 30 psi depending on tank pressure. The IP on an old USD Aqua Master two hose will vary from 110 psi at 2500 tank pressure to 150 psi at 300 psi tank pressure with very little difference in breathing effort. If the IP isn't so high as to cause a free flow it should be no problem.

Captain

scubahorse:
1) Book says set the IP close to 135 psi. 144 sounds not right.
2) My Legend LX breath really smooth with 135 psi setting. Why 144psi?
3) If 144psi makes freeflow, and then you have to adjust your second to stop it. Why not just lower the IP first.

ps. I thought Mares Abyss's 138-142psi IP setting is the highest, am I right?

If it is like the other Mares, it is recommended at 145 by the manual. No, it is not the highest. Poseidon holds that title, of about 170. It actually increases as the tank pressure decreases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom