Need to get Open Water Certified in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karlomarx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Folks! My gal and I will be in Thailand from Feb 14-29.

Where is the best place to get open water certified. Also how much should we expect to pay for the Certifications?

Does it need to be only a PADI place?
Thanks again!!!!

Mr. Karl O Marx,

Privet!

IMO, PADI is your best option as it recognized world wide and the standards set in place are very good. Of course as a PADI Divemaster I am a bit biased. In reality there are several choices, but clearly this would be the easiest and most recognized choice that will allow you a clear path to continue advancement in diver education. You will start getting a few businesses directly trying to get you to sign up with them. As an independent DM who runs a scuba club part time I would suggest looking for a place to get certified on the Andaman side in February. The season for the Gulf is late May to October. I would avoid Pattaya for that reason until the season changes. Conditions in the Phuket/Krabi area would be excellent.

Think budget, time of stay and what else you may want to do besides diving. I really liked Phi Phi Lei. The Holiday Inn resort is on a quiet end of the island. Scuba Diving-Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, Krabi, Thailand You can get certified right at the hotel and do some great beach dives and boat diving within 15 minutes journey. The conditions will be ideal that time of year. The down side is the price. You can find cheaper places, but this is a nice place to stay.

Getting there is easy. Fly from BKK to Phuket and arrange transfer through the hotel. A ferry will take you there from Phuket.

I would consider staying at least 6 days. E-learning may also be a consideration. If your English is good, check out: PADI eLearning Registration

I am not sure if the dive shop at the hotel uses E-Learning yet but email the hotel if your interested. I think their dive shop may have a link off their home page or just about to add one. Most places are starting to offer this route as it is great for people traveling. With over 80,000 people getting certified in Thailand each year this is real consideration for the tourism market.

This will allow you to complete theory before starting your holiday and maximize your time. Its still relatively new, but you may want to look for an operation that offers this. Going the manual route is good as well, but this will make things more enjoyable IMO.

Cost: E-Learning 120USD, cost for the rest varies. Everyone is usually very similar so don't think shopping around price will be a big issue. I would let weather conditions, budget for hotel and closeness to the dive sites be your guide.

Filling in your profile would also be helpful as to let the folks on SB better know where you are coming from. Advice is plentiful in these parts.

Good luck,

Arizona

Arizona, wow thanks for the complete and great post! Just got back from my 2nd to last pool course and I'm beat. It's snowing here :(

Anyways, I just emailed this to my girlfriend and I will get in touch with you soon.

I also updated my profile.

Cheers,
Karlo

I see now. You need to finish your OW check out dives. Since you started as a PADI student, you will get a PADI referral. Stay within the PADI organization for this cert. If you move onto a higher cert afterwards you can explore other options. IMO, PADI would be best, but that is for you to determine.

Make sure you bring all the paperwork your instructor gives you to the place you complete your OW check out dives with. My concern is that you are finishing your confined water dives in Dec but completing your OW check outs in Feb. The instructor should take this into consideration as they deal with referrals all the time.

Others should be giving you suggestions shortly. I am surprised the thread has not be bombarded already. If you want more info PM me.

We are in winter in BKK and its 81.

Stay with the Andaman side this time of year and I am sure you will be happy.

Arizona

I see now. You need to finish your OW check out dives. Since you started as a PADI student, you will get a PADI referral. Stay within the PADI organization for this cert. If you move onto a higher cert afterwards you can explore other options. IMO, PADI would be best, but that is for you to determine.

Make sure you bring all the paperwork your instructor gives you to the place you complete your OW check out dives with. My concern is that you are finishing your confined water dives in Dec but completing your OW check outs in Feb. The instructor should take this into consideration as they deal with referrals all the time.

Others should be giving you suggestions shortly. I am surprised the thread has not be bombarded already. If you want more info PM me.

We are in winter in BKK and its 81.

Stay with the Andaman side this time of year and I am sure you will be happy.

Arizona

How can one one bombard this thread with such a thorough answer as yours, Arizona?:thumb:

Arizona, what concerns you about the dec/feb testing? That their is a month and half gap? Should we take a refresher class while out there?

Karlomarx,

It just seems like a bit of time between demonstrating the required skills and last practicing them. I am sure when your instructor sees your referral he/she will ask you how you feel and review a bit if needed. If you feel uneasy about the instructor take a walk down the beach.

Limbo,

What can I say Limbo, I like to help out. It's the teacher in me. I still love diving the Koh Tao area and regularly dive Pattaya, but know if I flew all the way from the US it would be a crime not to see the calm clear waters of the Andaman this time of year. Luckily, I will be doing both. Samui in few weeks and then Krabi. Maybe we can convert my cousin into a hardcore diver :)

AZ

Back
Top Bottom