Need to edit a first post...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've started a post here detailing my experiences downloading dive profiles from dive computers using Linux. Currently this info is out of date, and I'd like to update it. I spoke with Headhunter about this, however I don't feel it's fair to the mods to have to change it. I understand that there have been problems with flame wars in the past, but I don't see that it's going to happen in this thread.

I've got some ideas, and I'm looking for discourse in this area. Can we at least discuss it?

If you read the first post, you'll see it was my intention to update that first post so that the information is fresh when someone comes to the thread. It's much more useful that way. There's a precedent for this. Here's an example of a thread that works this way. As you can see, there are no flame wars when someone is giving away useful information. :D

Some ideas:
  1. Create a "How To" section or maybe subsection under DIY where first posts can be edited.
  2. Allow special requests for initial post editing, such as in this case :wink:
  3. Allow edits to take place, but rather than immediately posting, have them automatically submitted to Mod for review.

Headhunter suggested creating a new post with the updated info, but then it becomes "headless", and I believe it's important to keep the discussion with the information.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Russell

I disagree with editing an 8 month old post with subsequent discussion. I'd really suggest...

1-Start a new thread with "Linux: All New Info" for that forum.

2-Include a link to the old thread and explain that the new thread is an update from that.

3-Post a link to the new thread on the old one.

Unfortunately, your requests are beyond the scope of the software. The ONLY way to edit any post after 4 hours is through moderator intervention. The settings for this are universal, and we do not wish to open Pandora's box for the entire forum for just one thread. If the thread is not stickied, then addendums are beneficial in letting others know that there has been an update.

Let me second the request. Could we possibly have a sticky for Linux HOWTO's in the Computers forum? A mod could own and edit the sticky (say monthly? weekly? it's your forum...) with information from the open thread. This would keep from requiring any changes to the software/permissions, but allow us to share the information in a manner that is more accessible.

Those of us who use Linux are generally the outliers anyways. A simple sticky would satisfy the desire to share information about how to get our fancy new dive computers to store information on our desktops or notebooks. The manufacturers are *not* currently taking any action to support Linux users, so we are left to fend for ourselves.

Would a sticky be possible, Pete?

Pete,

Thanks for responding, now I understand why the answer has been an unqualified "no".

I think a sticky might help to serve our purposes, and at least make this information more visible.

This might be a good question to pose to vBulletin; to see if there's a way to narrow permissions to specific threads, or even fora without opening pandora's box. Or a "Geeks Only" section that requires permission to enter, such as some of the tech and DIR subforums already on the board.

Thanks for listening.

Russell

undefined:
Let me second the request. Could we possibly have a sticky for Linux HOWTO's in the Computers forum? A mod could own and edit the sticky (say monthly? weekly? it's your forum...) with information from the open thread. This would keep from requiring any changes to the software/permissions, but allow us to share the information in a manner that is more accessible.

Those of us who use Linux are generally the outliers anyways. A simple sticky would satisfy the desire to share information about how to get our fancy new dive computers to store information on our desktops or notebooks. The manufacturers are *not* currently taking any action to support Linux users, so we are left to fend for ourselves.

Would a sticky be possible, Pete?

If you create the post, I'll stick it for you- just send me a PM with a link to it. It there are updates that need to be done, ask a Mod to do it for you via a PM- I'll be glad to do so, as I'm sure others will.

Back
Top Bottom