Need to dive... But where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, half the crew was just there for a week, I'm pretty sure they know their way around.

We actually considered it, but ruled out because it was such a pain to get to. We actually have to do a night stay over on the way down and the way back, which adds to hotel rooms to the cost and two extra days of travel. The problem is the only flight to Bonaire left before we can get a morning flight into, and the flight out got in too late to catch the return trip home.

It looks like Anthony's Key may be out too, they are closed for two weeks in October, right when we wanted to go.

I started looking into Cozumel, and was overwhelmed by the number of places. I'll have to go spend some time looking through posts to see what has been recommended.

Here's a funny one, the air fair to Hawaii, Cozumel and Roatan was within twenty bucks. Roughly in the $630 range. We'd do Hawaii in a heart beat but finding something reasonably priced looks to be a challenge. Not to mention needing a car in Hawaii, which definitely adds to the cost. Granted there is some awsome shore diving in Hawaii on the big island if you know where to look.

Bob

Cayman Airways has a special going, have you checked their web site?
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Hi Bob,

for that amount of money you can easily have great diving in egypt, flight tickets should be around $500, diving and accomidation in egypt is very good. from europe, it costs in october (High season) around $900 for flights accomidations in 4 stars, 10 dives ... and the red sea is full of diving oppertunities, world war 2 wrecks, sharks, dolphins almost everything. never the less everyone speaks english and it is a world wide diving place..best of luck with your search..if you need full information, just ask..

wish you happy diving
George

RPanick:
Our group of dive junkies is looking for someplace to dive for a week in October. Everyone is at least Rescue and about half the group is DM or Instructor. We are hoping to do it for about $1500 or less. Preferably where we don't have to wear our dry suits, like we do here in Michigan (okay 5/7 mm wet since it is August). To us anything above 80 doesn't require a wet suit.

We originally were going to try and swing a deal with the Nekton while they were still in Florida, but they pulled one of the boats for inspections, so that fell through. We then started thinking about the Keys, then Charley came through, I'm not too sure that's a great destination right now.

We were also thinking about the Bahamas, but quite frankly I just got back from there and the reefs looked horrible. Not sure why, it might be over dove (Stuart Cove's running at least 4 boats twice a day), shark feeding is taking the sharks away from there real job of eating the Parrot fish, or something else.

Right now the only thing we have come up with is Anthony's Key. Which isn't all that bad, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Bob

RPanick:
I started looking into Cozumel, and was overwhelmed by the number of places. I'll have to go spend some time looking through posts to see what has been recommended.

Here's a funny one, the air fair to Hawaii, Cozumel and Roatan was within twenty bucks. Roughly in the $630 range. We'd do Hawaii in a heart beat but finding something reasonably priced looks to be a challenge. Not to mention needing a car in Hawaii, which definitely adds to the cost. Granted there is some awsome shore diving in Hawaii on the big island if you know where to look.

Bob

Just returned from 2nd trip to CZM, with your exper. group I'd recommend it. Nice 'n' warm, currents are funny now but manageable, LOTS of dive sites, LOTS of dive ops, LOTS of hotel choices, and LOTS of advice on the Cozumel sub-board here. My group got $536/RT mid-week from SAN, should be similar from there. Definitely check out the board here tho, mucho info on it! Enjoy!

One more thing - been to Maui three times, diving including shore tanks is nice, but it's VERY expensive. IMHO it's better for a family vacation with a couple dives, than for a dive vacation.

Looks like we are going to Coco View at Roatan, the other choice we came up with was Kona, at just a little more. My gut feel from the group is that going to Hawaii was that the air travel was too long, but they still want to do it, but maybe taking their families with them. Likely in the spring or right after school lets out for the summer.

By the way shore diving on the big island was very reasonable when we did it. But we only needed weights and tanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I looked at all of them except Egypt (sorry I know I couldn't possibly sell it to this group with the state of the world right now).

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom