Need tigers, not plush resort. West End budget accommodation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickLongfellow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Heading to florida for my first visit home in over 2 years to visit friends and family. Decided to knock a few things off the ol' goals in life list while I'm there. Found cheap flight to Freeport, but as far as accommodation goes, all I'm seeing are boutique resorts. Both of these words alone sound expensive, put together and a lowly dive instructor cannot even comprehend. So I was wondering if anyone has the low down on cheap homestay/motel/crack den option for staying in the west end so I can dive with tigers, but not waste my money topside on a resort I wont be seeing except while I sleep?

Also, looking around and all the options I see for tiger beach diving are stuarts and jim abernathy, anyone know of anything else around?

Thanks guys.
-Nick

Nick, I may be wrong about this but I believe all Jim Abernethy's Tiger Beach trips leave out of Palm Beach - Florida.

Edited: see post below

Check with Dolphin Dream also, they run trips there out of Palm Beach. http://www.sharkexpedition.com/Pages/shark.html

There was someone else doing shorter trips out of Grand Bahama IIRC, if I run across it again, I'll post it here.

Last edited:
Yes muzi, was planning on diving with stuart cove out of west end, grand bahama. But they only offer accomm with Old bahama bay resort which is 300+ usd a night.... ouch. Possible to stay in a cheap stop in freeport and get a taxi out in the morning? possibly the taxi costs 100 usd as well for all I know, any suggestions?

Yes muzi, was planning on diving with stuart cove out of west end, grand bahama. But they only offer accomm with Old bahama bay resort which is 300+ usd a night.... ouch. Possible to stay in a cheap stop in freeport and get a taxi out in the morning? possibly the taxi costs 100 usd as well for all I know, any suggestions?

I haven't been there yet, just to the regular Stuart Cove at Nassau. I certainly see what you mean though, about the new one. The accommodations are a bit much for most divers. I will probably check it out next year though, can't resist :D Other than that, I'm not sure what's around there, "economically" speaking.

Nick,a rental car 50 per day,Dead mans reef has cheap rooms closer to WestEnd,OBB is only show on West End,and is out of the Bankruptcy mess of Boby Ginns West End develpoment.To travel back and forth from Freeport is a long ride,

Back
Top Bottom