Need Tech Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabasco1955

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There is a relatively new rec diver telling me an instructor took then down to a depth of 204 ft on a dive, they went down and came directly back up, did a 15 minute decompression stop (didn't mention the depth) and then ended the dive, the rec diver was diving with a single 80 tank. I know this breaks all the rules, but is it even possible? Since the rec dive tables only go to 130 I don't know what the decompression times would be for a dive like that.

Though it's not too smart, it is definately possible. "V-Planner" shows: assuming a 4 minute descent to 204 and 1 minute at depth the ascent would take 6 minutes to the 10' stop which would require 2:32 at that depth. (Using the liberal setting that I play around with). Myself, I don't do bounce dives, just don't see the point. steve

This is called a bounce dive (I believe) and is entirely possible.

A freind of mine did a bounce dive to 290' in Cozumel on a single 80 filled with air. He even has a certificate to memorialize his extreme stupidity. It was apparently quite the rage for awhile but has been mosty discontinued due to a fair number of deaths and accidents.

Even with a 5 minute bottom time at 290 ft and a more conservative ascent time of 24 minutes with 1 minute stops at 80, 70, 60, 50 and 40 ft, 2 minutes at 30, 4 minutes at 20 and 7 minutes at 10 ft, DPlan indicates 56 cu ft of air will be required with a sac rate of .8 for the dive and .6 for the deco. Of course the PO2 is 2.1 at that depth and you are just begging for an O2 hit assuming the narcosis does not impair you to the point of not wanting to surface first. In my freind's case, he had planned to descend to 275' but the bottom was not much farther so he just kept going. My thought is that he was extremely fortunate he was in only 290 ft of water.

For a 204 ft dive, DPlan requires 1 minutes stops at 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10 ft for a 5 minute bottom time at 204 ft with only 34 cu ft of air required assuming a sac rate of .8 for the dive and .6 for the deco. So even with double the air consumption it is possible with an 80.

It is by no means smart, due to a lack of redundancy, impairment due to nitrogen narcosis, the potential for oxygen toxicity, and about 100 other ways to die in the process, but it is possible.

Thanks to all of you for your input, I knew it wasn't a smart thing to do, but not having any experience in technical diving I didn't even know if it was possible or not with the deco times, etc. Thanks again!

I've been to 204' on an aluminum 80. It wasn't a smart thing to do, but I got to see what I wanted to see (the edge of the continental shelf) and that was the dive that helped me to decide to get technical training. I'm now certified for Technical Nitrox, Deco Proceedures, and Helitrox, to depths of 170'. I plan on Taking Trimix early next year. Through my scuba education I've always gone "okay, whats next!!" Also the deeper you dive, the nicer the wrecks are, and I love wreck diving!!

BTW: on the dive to 204' our stops were 1@50,2@35,4@25,8@15 one diver ran low on air and had to share air on deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom