Need suggestions on replacing Sony camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budcris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a very old sony camera and housing (3.2 mp) that I am going to replace. I have been looking at the sony DSC-W290 and housing with either the fantasea strobe kit or the intova strobe kit. I have an olympus Fe-230 but I can not find a housing for it for less than $299. So if I am going to pay that much for just a housing I might as well replace everything. Any help or suggestions would be aprreciated. Thanks Buddy

Have a look through some of the recent threads here and also in the Sticky (link in my signature) as there is a ton of information on current model options.

Sony isn't really a leader when it comes to compact cameras for underwater use - Fuji, Canon, Olympus and Nikon tend to have more and better options.

Canon A720, A590 or G9 or G10 (some models discontinued but you can find some of them pretty easily).

Olympus SW series ... I personally am not impressed and the more I see the less impressed I am, but some others really like them and you should consider these cameras as an option if you are 100% positive you do not want manual controls.

Olympus 350 ... again, discontinued but if you can find one, it's a good system. Even the old Oly 5050 if you can find one will serve you well, though be warned it's slow. But I still miss mine - it was just an awesome camera, really, despite its foibles.

Fuji F30 if you can find one, F50 is newer and still around.

So many more, but at least it should get you started on your shopping spree!

Back
Top Bottom