Need suggestion for moisture-wicking base layer undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using a fleece sweater, but I realize fleece actually absorbs moisture and retains most of it. What is a good choice?

The 4th Element range work very well.. If I'm on a trimix dive or it's winter, I'll wear a Xerotherm base layer with an Arctic top layer. Summer only? depending on the temps, either of them individually. The wicking powers are excellent.

I wear an REI base layer under the normal dry suit thermal underwear.

I wear an REI base layer under the normal dry suit thermal underwear.
Good Advice here

You don't need an expensive "scuba' branded under layer. Us outdoor types have been layering with stuff for years. Sure I do have the expensive North Face and the like, but the Target brand rash guards will do just fine for you. Just get something that you feel comfortable with, in fitting and price

Patagonia "Capilene" is what I wear. Comes in three weights. I like the "Capilene 3" version.

Hi Eelnoraa:

Any of the baselayers that you find for regular outdoor activities will work very nicely. You'll find that the baselayers targeted for athletic purposes (Cycling/Running) are more form fitting than Hiking. The Craft Pro Warm baselayers that I use for cycling in the winter work just as well for scuba diving. You can find something far less expensive at Mel Cotton's or at REI. I usually like the form fitting baselayers as there is less bunching between multiple clothing articles.

Claude

I got mine at Bass Pro shop . the xps expedition weight 3.0 they where between $39.99 and$ 49.99 top and bottom. They also carry a lighter base layer that works pretty well and cost around $20.00 I have both mid temps I use the lighter ones for temps in the 50* to 40* I use the 3.0 with my WHITES MK3 undergarmet

I used the 4th Element Drybase for a while and liked it, but I like this stuff even better: KAMgear

I was camping with the scouts this weekend for some white water rafting in the Lehigh River. I brought my Santi E-Lite and fourth Element Drybase since the water was 50 deg. and they recommended wetsuits. Well the during our lunch break we pulled over to the side of the river. As we do during surface intervals, I unzipped and lowered the top half of the suit to my waist while keeping the suspenders on. Well the adults were a little jealous since I was dry and they were wet. One of the adults snuck up behind me and dumped river water over my head and down my back from a five gallon pale. Well the drybase top adsorbed all the water that was meant for the bottom of my suit. I smiled and laughed, then took my top off and rung all the water out (it was a lot). I put it back on and was impressed how dry it felt. No water made it past my waist. My under armor couldn't do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom