need strobe help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have settled on a fuji f810 digital, and the ikelite underwater case. I now need a strobe. Apparently the case doeas not have any facilities for a sync cord/ TTL so I am guessing I'll be needing a slaved strobe to sense when the cameras flash goes off? I wanted to know which one you folks reccomend. Our last flash had a sensor right on the strobe case itself, and i have seen others that have a small sensor closer to the cameras case to sense the flash event. Which one is beeter, or prefered? Another item is, are all trays/arms equal? or do I need to get a specific one for the ikelite housing? does the ball type work better than other methods.

I only recommend Ikelite, Inon or Sea & Sea strobes. I feel that you get what you pay for when it comes to strobes.

With your set-up (which I think is excellent), I personally would go with an Inon Z220F . This way if you ever upgrade to a DSLR, you can use a sync cord with this strobe too. The D2000 would be a good choice too but can only be fired by a FO cable.

I have used ULCS, TLC & Ikelite trays and arms and I prefer ULCS .

I buy all of my underwater photo gear from Ryan at Reef Photo & Video . Not only are his prices very competitive, no one that I know is more knowledgeable about U/W digital photography.

HTH,
Dave

This whole thing is way more confusing then I ever expected! Looks like the InonZ200 or what ever it is called, is a TTL. from what i can tell from the info I have, that will not work with the cmasera and case i was looking at, or am I missing something here?

i tried to find out how much 49,00 yen is in US dollars, but got the run around by Jeeves. What does that work out to in Good old US bucks, If I may ask?

The Inon D2000 has a system that mimics the exact output of your cameras' flash, thus they call it TTL. From users that I know, it works well. AFAIK, the Z220 series only shoot in TTL with film cameras. They are manual control only with digital.

HTH,
Dave

With this camera, you'll want to use the d2000 strobe in external auto, or an Ikelite or Inon Z- strobe in its manual mode.

We have been using ULCS' digital tray with this housing via a some custom hardware to adapt it to Ikelite's non-standard housing foot print. The digital tray is MUCH lighter than Ikelites single handle or double handle offerings. Keep in mind that most trays won't be compatible with this housing, the digital tray works by accident.

Basic complete packages for the f810 (housing, tray, locline arm, d2000, optical cable) start at about $1000, and go as high as $1200.

hey ryan~
thanks for the help....really enjoying my ikelite housing and strobe for my oly8080.
funny thing is, the program TTL mode vs. manual mode....
the TTL thing i find, is not that accurate.....meaning, the shots look so much nicer when using manual mode....i thought the TTL would make things look optimum?

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom