Need some quick ideas on short notice trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be going to Singapore on business during mid Nov.

As that is 14 Hrs from UK .... thought I may use the opportunity toi grab a few days diving ...

Based on being in Singapore ... what suggestions do you have .... one thought is as Thailand is attached, I get a short flight to West Thailand and see if I can get a 3 day Livaboard to Similians. ? Richelieu rock or Koh Bon for example.

or would I be better served with some other location ... only have a few days.
I'm guessing I can fly to Phuket or Bangkok easy enough.

Borneo & Sumatra are also nearby

If anybody has experience, and recommendations of dive centre’s please let me know

For Sumatra check out Lumba Lumba - this would involve a short trek to KL and then a flight to Banda Aceh.

How about Bali ? Check out Big Fish Diving on Lembongan...

Also Malapascua's only a three hour flight away to see the thresher sharks...

For Sumatra check out Lumba Lumba - this would involve a short trek to KL and then a flight to Banda Aceh.

How about Bali ? Check out Big Fish Diving on Lembongan...

Also Malapascua's only a three hour flight away to see the thresher sharks...
great, some prions to consider ... Thnx

For Lumba Lumba or Bali check with Air Asia. For Malapascua check with Cebu Pacific.

If you have your own equipment Cebu Pacific do a Sports Equipment Allowance...

If you only have a few days, Phuket is the way to go, in my opinion. Short direct flights, logistically easy at your destination, and pretty decent day-diving. The diving in Bali is better, but the flight is longer, and the time and hassle to your hotel and eventually to diving is longer still.

It's a shame you can't eke an extra day or two out of your schedule, because with 5 days you can start to think about Sipadan or Manado.

If you only have a few days, Phuket is the way to go, in my opinion. Short direct flights, logistically easy at your destination, and pretty decent day-diving. The diving in Bali is better, but the flight is longer, and the time and hassle to your hotel and eventually to diving is longer still.

It's a shame you can't eke an extra day or two out of your schedule, because with 5 days you can start to think about Sipadan or Manado.

Latest news is that trip may be delayed by a mnoth ... in which case I could then take a week off.
My original thoughts were a 3 day livaboard ... is Sipadan going to give me better diving ?

It's been a decade since I lived in Singapore. I still make it to Bali pretty regularly, and Phuket occasionally, but I haven't been to Sipadan in quite a while. I would say that the diving there is much better than the diving in the Similans, but would defer to somebody with more current experience. Maybe PM QUERO; she's got a great handle on the regional diving.

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed for that delay--an extra few days off will make a hug difference in your diving options.

Singapore is a good hub with easy connections to a number of places.

1] Thailand's Andaman coast is definitely a possibility. You can certainly go to the Similans, and perhaps a trip to Richelieu will work out, but that will depend on your exact dates.
2] Also in the Andaman is Pulau Weh, but it takes a little longer to get to because of flights and ferry transfer, but you could get a few dives in at a place that is off the beaten path.
3] Bali and Manado are both easy flights from Singapore. It's not the best time of year for either of them, but they are both diveable year round.
4] Parts of the Philippines are okay at that time of year, though other parts are subject to typhoons then.

Try visiting one or all of the surrounding islands like Tekong Island, Ubin Island, Sentosa Island, Semakau Island, Senang Island or the Ayer Chawan Island.
I think the OP was inquiring about a few days of diving.

Tekong Island is a military training area, as far as I know, as is Senang--I don't think they're open to the public, and Senang has the added appeal of being a live-fire zone.

Semakau is a landfill, where Singapore disposes of its trash. There was, however, an effort to maintain the mangroves and "seed" a coral reef around it.

Ayer Chawan is an industrial park, I believe.

Sentosa is a good destination for exiled political figures, golfers, and people who can't dive but would like to pretend they are diving (Underwater World).

All in all, not the kind of dive spots one looks forward to when traveling to Southeast Asia. With the exception of Pulau Ubin, I have never heard of anybody diving these islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom