Need some help sorting through a system upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see no reason to go for Pana GH5/G9, unless video is the main preference.
The reason that I recommended considering the GH5 had nothing to do with video. It was because of the great reviews it gets as an underwater camera from companies such as Backscatter who raved about it, and because of Panasonic's simple, fast and accurate method for setting the white balance. (Yes, if you shoot RAW, White Balance can be adjusted in post, but it is good to get it right in camera.)

I stepped up from Olympus E-M10 to Sony FF mirrorless earlier this year. However, I shoot mostly wide angle.

Since you said you shoot mostly macro, I would probably stay with m43. I think FF is better for low light wide angle, where you can't really light up your subject. For macro, you CAN almost always light your subject, which really guts the main advantage of FF (to me, anyway).

With the newest new announcements about Olympus releasing a couple of new lenses later this year, I personally wouldn't be too worried about their impending sale. I just retired an E-M10 so that was, what, 7 years old? If you pick up a nice, used E-M1 II, it will last you a long time. And I think it would satisfy your stated requirement of better AF.

If you need more persuasion, you can look at this thread I posted on DPReview.

First efforts with new Sony a7rIV: Underwater Photography Forum: Digital Photography Review

I posted some pics for comparison. Some from my new a7r IV and some from my old E-M10 - both shot in the same location, in very similar conditions. The actual IQ, when you get a good exposure and focus, is really not a discriminator. To me, anyway. I went FF because I wanted better AF, better low light performance, and the much higher rez, for when I want/need to crop heavily.

Back
Top Bottom