Need some Dry suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunkmail

I had to change “Wetsuit 4 Life” to “Wetsuit 4 Recreational Diving”. Starting commercial diver training in the fall and one of the requirements is to have a dry suit, the school never said anything about shell or neoprene, so I went with neoprene because of the low cost and I believe its suppose to be easer to repair.

Keeping the wetsuit for diving at Whytecliff in February, if you’re around and interested I’m trying to setup a dive to Kelvin Grove next Monday evening.

The most versatile commercial diving suits are the Vulcanized rubber suits made by Viking, Gates, Hunter or Ameron International. The reason is that you can clean the suit after you get nasty stuff all over it. I did a simple inspection dive in shallow, clear water on a BRAND NEW seaway on wood tressels. I had creasote (or some sticky black wood preservative) all over me after the dive. If I had been wearing a wet suit or a nylon covered suit like a trilam it would still be covered in black stains. With the vulcanized rubber you just wipe with some Goo Be Gone and wash with Simple Green.

Vulcanized rubber is also eaisier to repair than neoprene. Just get a bicycle tire repair kit and patch the hole, and your back in the water in ten minutes. Try that with a neoprene suit.

Look on ebay for a Viking HD Pro or a Viking Pro 1000. You can get a suit cheep that will get you through school. Avoid the Viking 90X, it was discontinued over ten years ago and any suit for sale will have dry rot. Also you can wear ski thermals under the suit or even sweats for insulation while you are in school. Don't spend your money on brand new dry suit thermals until you are working and can afford it. You will probably be interested in a suit with a neck yoke that will fit your favorite diving helemt by then aas well.

Oh, and don't buy a suit with an attached hood. You won't be able to use it with a diving helmet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Muddiver, the plan is to buy a used neoprene suit for now and in time buy a Vulcanized rubber suit, probably after school.

I had no idea that you could find dry suits with an attached hood

Back
Top Bottom