Need some advice on career move!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to the forum and diving in general. I have always had a great interest in marine life, especially sharks and I have owned a couple marine fish tanks in the past. I have had minimal diving experience but have always wanted to do my PADI open water just haven’t gotten round to it.
I currently work in Scotland, UK in the oil industry as a quality inspector, the money is really good but I am just getting fed up of this industry. There’s also a chance I might get paid off which is what is prompting this career change.

I have recently enrolled in a marine biology level 3 diploma course with Oxford college, more for my interest in the subject but to also have a qualification in it to help pursue a career in it. I have been looking at the internships for divemaster’s and have been offered a place in one which will also lead to becoming an instructor.
But I have been reading up more about these internships in that you get paid hardly anything/nothing and work long hard hours, I don’t have a problem with that as I know exactly the reason for this. I will however have the money to do these courses myself so would I be better doing that then trying to find paid work rather than an internship?
Money is a factor as this would be my full time job with no other income. I know the pay would not be the best to start with but as long as it is enough to survive, I know I will never make what I am on now but that is not why I am doing it. My other option would be to try and get into an aquarium job instead which my diploma might help with.

Sorry for the long post but I really don’t know the best route at the moment so any advice I would appreciate. I’d also like to add that I don’t mind where I work (within reason!).

If your career move is into marine biology... having a DM certification will be of limited (if any) utility.

A DM course will teach you to assist instructors and lead groups of divers. These skills aren't much needed by marine biologists.

My son is in a Marine Sciences program... He went into it as a Rescue Diver, but he is pursuing a Research Diver/ Dive Master. The classes are part of his curriculum at the school. I think it depends on what you want to do with your degree ultimately.

Welcome to SB. I guess the best advice is to do a lot of research and try to talk to the people who are actually employed doign the things you are interested in. Find out the route they went. You would need to be careful that the person you are talking to doesn't have a "vested interest" in getting you working with them. Pretty hard to give honest advice when you stand to gain/or lose from the exchange.

This post linked here of RJP's is probably the best I have seen on the topic of the best way to determine if you want to work with a specific operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom