Need some advice, new to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess next question is how do you guys travel with all this plus diving equipment ? is there a case that I can fit all this in for traveling?

i have a g12/oem case/inon z240/ulcs arms and plate. I highly recommend it. check out the last 2 years of pictures here:Your Page Title. go with an inon d2000 and it should be close to 1500

Hi ScubaMarc ..... I use almost the same setup with a G11. Do you use a WA lens with your OEM housing? Wich one? What is your opinion about it?

Thanks GHN

I guess next question is how do you guys travel with all this plus diving equipment ? is there a case that I can fit all this in for traveling?

Take a look in my flickr.........I use a Lowe Pro bag. There are some UW photos from Recife and Fernando de Noronha (Brazil).

Abs GHN

I use: Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lens G Series I think it is nice, there are some issues in the way it is held to the case, it is not screw on and is held on by bungees. When going down the line, it shifts and then all the pictures have a slight piece of the lens or an air bubble showing. If you remember to fix it when you get under the water it is fine.

The other technical issue is when i talk to anyone(like professional photographers) who uses high end lens'. They all say this is not a TRUE wide angle lens. All it does is re coup the loss of magnification that the water does when compared on land. (I am trying to say this with a smug attitude i get from the professional photographers.)

I do recommend the lens, there is nothing else you can use. If you find something, tell me.

I think I'm going to go with the OEM Canon housing for now, after I gain more experience with the camera UW I can always upgrade to the Fisheye FIX G12 latter. But since I'm not butting all that $$ into the Fisheye FIX G12 housing, I think I'm going to get:
1x Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe,
1x ULCS TR-DM tray,
1x ULCS AC-H Padded Handle,
1x ULCS DB-08 8" Double Ball Strobe Arm,
1x ULCS AD-SSL 3" Adapter,
2x ULCS AC-CSF Clamps.
That puts me to a total of around $1250.
Anyone has any other recommendations? Am I forgetting something ?

Since you are getting the Canon housing I urge you to read MY PAGE containing my experiences with the locking latch and the tripod mount. It may save you from damaging or destroying your housing. Hindsight is 20-20.

Take a look in my flickr.........I use a Lowe Pro bag. There are some UW photos from Recife and Fernando de Noronha (Brazil).

Abs GHN
Those are nice pics, lots to see there in Brazil huh? I'll be going to Espitiro Santo, Bahia, for my diving at least, also going to Minas Gerais to see mom and family (it's been 10 years) and maybe Sao Paulo if I can get hold my a friend that lives there, maybe you can show me some good dive spots there in Sao Paulo.

I think most of what you are doing is fine, I don't like the strobe choice very much. I would go with either an Inon S2000 (I have a bunch of them for my DSLR) or bite the bullet and get the Inon Z240/S&S 110alpha. As your photography grows strobes become much more important. Also you will need (eventually) a video light/focus light; look at the L&M Solas they are very nice
Bill

I think most of what you are doing is fine, I don't like the strobe choice very much. I would go with either an Inon S2000 (I have a bunch of them for my DSLR) or bite the bullet and get the Inon Z240/S&S 110alpha. As your photography grows strobes become much more important. Also you will need (eventually) a video light/focus light; look at the L&M Solas they are very nice
Bill
Thanks for the reply. I didn't like the s2000 because it doesn't have a target light built in, but I was looking at the Sea and Sea 110a tho, I think it would be a better choice for the long run. The Light and Motion SOLA 1200 would probably be my next investment.

Since you are getting the Canon housing I urge you to read MY PAGE containing my experiences with the locking latch and the tripod mount. It may save you from damaging or destroying your housing. Hindsight is 20-20.
NICE pics man, those were taken using a Canon G12 w/ Canon Housing ?? Looks like you have the Sea and Sea 110a, am I correct ? Do you use any lens ?

Back
Top Bottom