Need some advice, new to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loko2dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,
I'm new to UW photography so I need some advice from those who have been at this for a while. I'm going on a vacation trip to Brazil in February for 5 weeks and need a good camera to take with me that's going to work well underwater as well on land, photo and video both. I need a camera that I can grow into as I gain more experience in UW photography. I have about $1500 that I can spend now to start off (camera and housing), I know this can get a little expensive, so I'm preparing myself. So I'm open to suggestions as the only cameras I've owned was a small $150 digital camera from walmart and a GoPro HD, so I'm stepping it up.

I am a fairly new photographer. I've had a couple of underwater cameras that were as small and inexpensive as possible - the last of them was an Olympus 6020. I kept playing with it and I just wasn't happy with the quality of the images. On a trip to the Red Sea, my husband insisted I use his EPL-1 on a couple of dives. I was amazed at how much better my pictures were, even just using the camera in program mode. If you have the budget you're describing, I'd strongly recommend considering the EPL-1. Costco has them with two lenses for $399; housings are available through Amazon for $598, and you might be able to do better if you look around, or if you contact some dealers who have them, as neither the camera nor housing is current. With your budget, you might be able to put a strobe on it, too.

opinion.png

I have a G10 and G12 in Canon housings and IMO it is not a good choice without an external strobe. The length of the housing lens tunnel partially blocks the internal flash on macro shots depending on the distance from the subject.

The Canon S95 in the Canon housing can be better utilized using only the internal strobe.

The Olympus XZ-1 with its respective Olympus housing is another good choice.

Of course there are others.

If you are not getting an external strobe then you have to base your camera/housing choice on that. Usually more zoom equals longer housing lens tunnels resulting in no or limited use of the camera's built in strobe.

IMO I would not buy a camera for underwater use without RAW capability for non-strobe shots.

If you decide on the higher end housings in the $1000. price range IMO the camera should be dedicated to underwater use only to prolong its lifespan. Two cameras are ideal. Camera models change frequently and become difficult or impossible to get.

If you decide on an acrylic housing such as Canon, Olympus etc. I have some info on MY WEBSITE that is from my experiences with them. I am satisfied with them as I do not buy the higher end housings. Two years plus or minus is about it for either the camera or the housing with the amount of use I give them.

IMO buy a different camera for topside use with a lot of zoom like the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS with 35X zoom. Zoom is basically worthless underwater but is a plus topside.

Regardless of your choice the most important factor is learning how to operate the camera in the housing BEFORE your dive trip or you will end up with few good photos. Knowing how to operate all the housing controls is a must.

Next purchase (before my trip) would be a tray, focus light, strobe and then lens. More worried about getting the camera and housing for now so I can learn how to operate it correctly when it comes time for my trip.

I'm thinking that the Canon G12 would be a good start for me. Now I can't decide on the housing, I said that I wanted to spend about $1500 to start, but I can take a few more pennies out the jar if I have to. I just hate having to buy stuff twice.

I'm thinking that the Canon G12 would be a good start for me. Now I can't decide on the housing, I said that I wanted to spend about $1500 to start, but I can take a few more pennies out the jar if I have to. I just hate having to buy stuff twice.

i have a g12/oem case/inon z240/ulcs arms and plate. I highly recommend it. check out the last 2 years of pictures here:Your Page Title. go with an inon d2000 and it should be close to 1500

Pulled the triger and bought a Canon G12, found it at a great price for $379 including shipping. Now on the hunt for a housing. I like the Fisheye FIX G12. As for strobes when time comes, I'm thinking about a pair of Sea & Sea YS-01, maybe just one to start off, I like that it has a built in target light. No clue on a tray and arms yet.

i have a g12/oem case/inon z240/ulcs arms and plate. I highly recommend it. check out the last 2 years of pictures here:Your Page Title. go with an inon d2000 and it should be close to 1500
I've been reading that there has been some issues with the OEM Canon WP-DC34 housing leaking/flooding, that's why I'm leaning towards the Fisheye FIX G12. Did you ever have any issues with that housing?

Pulled the triger and bought a Canon G12, found it at a great price for $379 including shipping. Now on the hunt for a housing. I like the Fisheye FIX G12. As for strobes when time comes, I'm thinking about a pair of Sea & Sea YS-01, maybe just one to start off, I like that it has a built in target light. No clue on a tray and arms yet.

I've been reading that there has been some issues with the OEM Canon WP-DC34 housing leaking/flooding, that's why I'm leaning towards the Fisheye FIX G12. Did you ever have any issues with that housing?

I would like to say i had no issues, but i did and it was all my fault.

I think I'm going to go with the OEM Canon housing for now, after I gain more experience with the camera UW I can always upgrade to the Fisheye FIX G12 latter. But since I'm not butting all that $$ into the Fisheye FIX G12 housing, I think I'm going to get:
1x Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe,
1x ULCS TR-DM tray,
1x ULCS AC-H Padded Handle,
1x ULCS DB-08 8" Double Ball Strobe Arm,
1x ULCS AD-SSL 3" Adapter,
2x ULCS AC-CSF Clamps.
That puts me to a total of around $1250.
Anyone has any other recommendations? Am I forgetting something ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom