need regulators considering options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim220171

Reaction score
Here on the costa del sol there are a couple of main brands available.
mares and scuba pro That is what ive seen most of .
My dive instructor was trying to sell me the scuba pro mk 25 / s 600 kit
very good , top of the range but even with the 20 % dicount he offered it was still the same price as the mares abyss kit. Again that is pretty much top of the range as well. I need an octopus as well ( my instructor says you can spend more on your regulator and get away with a cheap octopus )
I cant see any real advantages with either brand except that the scuba pro has an adjustable flow valve by the mouth piece which is handy if you need to increase/decrease the flow of air.
The mares seems better value
when I was at the sport shop , I saw this note on the scuba pro saying not for nitrox
What is that about , surely the regulators should not be affected according to the mix of gas you breathe or do they ? Ive seen it on ocopuses as well . Cressi do a nitrox octopus . This is confusing me as eventually I will do a nitrox course later on . Does this mean I need 2 sets of regulators.

need help on these points , any help apreciated. :11:

Don't get one of those cheapy yellow things sold as 'octos.' When you REALLY NEED IT your anxiety levels will be high and you want something that gives you a large volume of air very easily. Get a 'real' backup second stage.. if you're buying a Scubapro kit, something like an S550 or R390.

IMO any high end regulator is going to be great for you. The Mares Abyss and ScubaPro MK25/S600 are both great regs that breathe like silk.

You can use either regulator with recreational nitrox mixes no problem.

Any Scubapro reg will support nitrox up to 40% out of the box.

If you are getting a Mk 25 S600 for the price of a mares abyss, it's a much better value than the mares reg.

Also based on their history, 10-20 years down the road SP will be providing parts support for the Mk 25 S600 and in all likely hood will be providing upgrade options to keep them in line with current regulators. In contrast Mares, based on their distinctly different history, will not be supporting out of production regulators at all,let alone upgrading them.

The other great thing about the SP regs is that they offer the parts for life program. As long as we bring it in each year, they replace all parts needed free of charge. We only pay the labor (pretty cheap). That'll save some $$$ in the long run!

ththooft:
The other great thing about the SP regs is that they offer the parts for life program. As long as we bring it in each year, they replace all parts needed free of charge. We only pay the labor (pretty cheap). That'll save some $$$ in the long run!
Valid only in North America AFAIK, so it's not a reason. :wink:
The better question is: how much will it cost you to service them locally?

another vote for the Scubapro. Along wth looking ahead take a look at recent trends. Scubapro has been relatively steady. I am not sure I can say the same abotu the Mares. Scubapro is also alot more well known worldwide for support. And I think that the MK25 kit would suit you well. Look at it this way, if you bought a MK2 you would like upgrade sooner or later that would cost alot more in the long run. Even if you dont get the S600 second stage the S550 will be fine. I second the thought on the octo too about not cheaping out. But don't be overly concerned, the airflow is largely etermined by the first stage.

Thanks for the advice . My funds are limited but I dont want to skimp too much as I want to buy once and not be thinking " well maybe I should upgrade , the kit I bought doesnt do enough"
I may end up getting the scuba pro set after all . I ve found a place where they do the mk25/s600 and r390 or 290 as the back up 2nd stage. Its still the price though.
I saw the cressi titanium eliptical with "matched up" back up 2nd stage breather
was less money but how good is it
any final ideas on that?
cheers guys

ok guys , sorry to bother you again but ive seen cressi titanium and seac sub diamond
bother are cheaper but seac sub does have the flow control knob like the scuba pro s 600
the back up 2nd stages both seem to be the same as the primary but with different coloured front plates which of course just simply denotes the primary and secondary breathers.
Anyone familiar with these brands ? Its gonna save me money but am I skimping ?
I have a feeling I may go for the seac sub as Ive got a seac sub BCD with iws system
had no poblams with it and its good quality for the money I spent
Anyway let me know people
Thanks again :D

Buy the Abyss; I bought mine when it was first introduce (97 or 98 I think)
Still my primary reg.

ernie

I've got the ScubaPro MK25/S600- works very well. You might want to consider the Atomics SS1 as your safe second, it is nice not to have the extra octo, and it also breathes very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom