Need Recomendation for lodging for Mayan Riviera (diver and non diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am traveling to Mexico in April with my girlfriend who is a non-diver. We would like to stay in the Playa del Carmen area or really anywhere along the Riviera Maya.

I notice that almost all the hotels on the travel sites (expedia, orbitz etc) are All Inclusive but we were actually looking for something that is not all inclusive but meets all our needs, well actually her needs - mine are very simple within a 3o min drive/collectivo to a dive op.

I will dive three days of the seven so we are looking for a place on or very close to the beach, with a spa (massage etc.), and a fitness center or access to one. Safety is my #1 concern so any women who have traveled alone to this area I would appreciate some feedback

Anyone have any ideas? This is our first trip to this area so we would rather not stay in an all-inclusive place but rather get to experience a little more of the area.

Thanks!

Your description really sounds like you are going to need an all inclusive....just for the fitness center.

The Riviera Maya is glutted with AI's galore, and also small hotels and resorts ran by ex-pats. There's not a whole lot in between.

You might try checking out a couple links to search.

www.locogringo.com

www.cancunsouth.com

I am going to Playa del Carmen, also in April, with my wife and 8 year-old daughter, who are non-divers. We are staying at the Gran Puerto Real, which does have a spa, and an exercise room (not a gym or health club). It's an all-inclusive, which helps with the young one, but we chose it primarily for location--it is right on the beach and right in town, the only place with this combination.

Have a look:
www.realresorts.com.mx/Gran_Porto_Real/

I haven't figured out the diving part of the trip yuet.

I agree that needing a spa & fitness center will petty much limit you to AI. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You can still experience the area with an AI. Usually you are not on the property for lunch anyway. You do not even need to be there for dinner, if you do not want to be. Put a dollar amount on lodging, drinks & breakfast & then shop price. Then you will not feel like you are wasting your money buying dinner or lunch off property.

As for safety:
As a woman I have traveled to that area alone & with with just my young daughter. Both of these trips I stayed in very small places. One was a very rustic bed & breakfast type place, with my young daughter. The other was a tiny family owned place that also had camping. I always felt safe & I walked alone in the town of Puerto Morelos at night a few times. The only time I felt scared was when the owner of the camping/cabana place & I went into town. She told me about a good place to eat & said it was a 10 min. walk down the beach from where her place was. I had her drop me off there, on the way back & I had a fantastic dinner. However, the walk back was about 30+ min. & very remote. I thought I could easily be attacked on this beach & no one would ever know. I only passed one person on my walk - but I was scared. Nothing happened, but I knew I had made a very stupid, dangerous mistake.

The bottom line is anything can happen anywhere. Use the same caution you would on vacation that you would at home.

AIs vary widely in price and quality, not to mention the options they offer. If you're wanting to spend more time off-property in local restaurants, consider one of the more basic AIs (generally with 4 restaurants - the main buffet, the beach "grill" and possibly one or two others). These are less expensive and the AI aspect of it will be less of the total cost than at a higher level AI.

Try the Blue Parrot and dive with Abyss Dive Shop. They have a great bar there too.

Thanks everyone!

We decided on an AI south of Playa del Carmen - Club Maeva - and diving with the in house operator Tank-Ha which i see is well reviewed here.

They gave me a good dive and stay package and have alot to keep my girlfreind happy while I dive.

Im going to get my AOW and do two cenote dives!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom