Need Ray identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Common in the northern Gulf of Mexico. I see them pretty regularly in shallow water dives(less than 20' of water) off the Alabama Gulf Coast between May and September. The ones I've seen average around 2.5' wide. They rest ontop the sand and sometimes recessed under the sand. The tails are really short, maybe 3" long. Yellow or tan in color with some spots.

Sorry, this is the only pic I have...

Ray.jpg

Any ideas? I can't find anything to match the shape that supposed to be around here, but its a fish I see pretty commonly.

Looks like some kind of butterfly ray (family Gymnuridae). Maybe Gymnura micrura aka smooth butterfly ray...

SuPrBuGmAn:
Common in the northern Gulf of Mexico. I see them pretty regularly in shallow water dives(less than 20' of water) off the Alabama Gulf Coast between May and September. The ones I've seen average around 2.5' wide. They rest ontop the sand and sometimes recessed under the sand. The tails are really short, maybe 3" long. Yellow or tan in color with some spots.

Sorry, this is the only pic I have...

Ray.jpg

Any ideas? I can't find anything to match the shape that supposed to be around here, but its a fish I see pretty commonly.
WOW ...!!!! big frigging son of a ray, ha ha!!! nice shot, i am suprised at how large it is, that is a big ray!!!

Vie:
Looks like some kind of butterfly ray (family Gymnuridae). Maybe Gymnura micrura aka smooth butterfly ray...
Concur. Gymnura micrura.
Rick

Thanks for the ID :) I've always wondered, and it just ticked me off when I couldn't list it on my logbook last night... :D

jim ernst:
WOW ...!!!! big frigging son of a ray, ha ha!!! nice shot, i am suprised at how large it is, that is a big ray!!!

That one is only 2-2.5' wide. I see 4-5' wide Southern Rays pretty often just right off the beach. They get much bigger too :D

Back
Top Bottom