Need opinions: Bare XC02 Tech Dry VS XC02 Pro Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyDiveLog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be getting a dry suit for Christmas (makes my wife's shopping a lot easier when I specify what scuba gadget to buy where!). I've narrowed it down to the 2MM "Tech Dry", which is a freont-entry zipper versus the "Pro Dry", which is the back entry version and requires help to zip it up.

Can any of you with experience with these give me some advice? I do a fair bit of solo diving, so I'm inclined towards the "Tech Dry," but have heard that the "Pro Dry" was developed to take stress off the zipper....supposedly Bare was getting zipper wear out. Like all good scuba stories, this has a hint of "urban myth," and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with 1st-hand experience.

Across-the-shoulder zippers are less prone to wear than self-donning zippers. The longer, front-mounted zipper just takes a lot more abuse than the one across your back. If properly cared for, you'll still get years from the front-mount zipper. It's just a choice of whether you want to pay more and get a bit less wear in exchange for greater convenience.

-
MyDiveLog:
I'm going to be getting a dry suit for Christmas (makes my wife's shopping a lot easier when I specify what scuba gadget to buy where!). I've narrowed it down to the 2MM "Tech Dry", which is a freont-entry zipper versus the "Pro Dry", which is the back entry version and requires help to zip it up.

Can any of you with experience with these give me some advice? I do a fair bit of solo diving, so I'm inclined towards the "Tech Dry," but have heard that the "Pro Dry" was developed to take stress off the zipper....supposedly Bare was getting zipper wear out. Like all good scuba stories, this has a hint of "urban myth," and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with 1st-hand experience.

BTW, that comment is irrespective of brand.

Well, I've got the XCD2 front entry. Overall after a dozen dives I'm quite happy with it. (Been a busy summer, hoped to get more time in the water...) Solid, well made suit. Try one on if you have the chance; I can get in/out of it myself, but I'm told that some people don't have the flexibility to do so, and it's certainly easier with someone lending a hand. Certainly haven't had it long enough to even think about wear on the zipper, but looking at the suit I don't anticipate this being a problem unless I put some work into abusing it.

Negatives? Wouldn't mind if the suit came with suspenders, but my only real complaint is Bare's sizing (which I mentioned in a thread some time ago). My suit came with arms that were much, much too short for me, and Bare's response to my complaint was that my arms were too long and that I would be out of pocket for the cost of getting them lengthened. (I'm 5' 10", the suit was supposed to fit for 6' 1", but the arms needed to be lengthened almost 3" each.) So be careful if you are ordering stock sizes.

Just take more care of the zipper. Keep it salt free and clean. Use a good lubricant and wax to take the stress off it when closing it. So now you know a weak part of the suit and you just take better care of it.

Chris

Also I just learned a lot of cold water divers with drysuits use the Harvey's 3 finger 5mm glove with skin seals (short cuff) I dont have a lot of exposed seal on my drysuit so I'll need a velcro enclosure if I go this route.

I dive an XCD2 and think it's a great suit. Get suspenders in it ( you can add them later but it's easier to just order it with them ). It's a heavy suit, so the suspenders help, in making the suit a little bit more comfortable. I have soft boots on it also, and use trek boots with it, which I find add to ankle suport. One of the other things that I've done with it is to add a set of dry rings and dry gloves. If I was to order this suit again I would have them install a bellows pocket on my right leg instead of the stock flat pocket that's on the left leg ( which I find to be almost useless ). The only other thing that I'm going to change on the suit is the neoprene neck seal with latex, but that's just me, I like latex simply because it's easier to get on and set, and it gives me more flexability. But some people find latex to cold.

thanks for all your advice. I ordered the XC02 with suspenders, rock boots, and neoprene seals....can't wait to go play with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom