Need nudi ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last week, during a night dive at Sundrock, at 67', I saw the largest, most interesting nudibranch I've ever seen. No photo, of course.

I would love to ID the slug, and have done some searching online, but there are so many areas world wide with so many different nudies, that the task is daunting.

So, does anybody know of a nudi site that has regional (PNW) nudi pictures?

Rick Inman:
Last week, during a night dive at Sundrock, at 67', I saw the largest, most interesting nudibranch I've ever seen. No photo, of course.

I would love to ID the slug, and have done some searching online, but there are so many areas world wide with so many different nudies, that the task is daunting.

So, does anybody know of a nudi site that has regional (PNW) nudi pictures?
Here you go:
http://www.seaotter.com/marine/html/viewindex-nudibranch.html

Let us know which one you saw, I'm curious :cheers:
Here's one of the biggest ones I've seen:
p3270025small9me.jpg

Dendronotis Iris come in white and red ... and the white ones come as pictured, and also a more translucent white with very golden fringes. They are typically found in sandy bottomed areas where tube-dwelling anemones live ... that's what they eat, and if you ever see one approaching an anemone, hover for a few minutes and enjoy the show. You won't believe how fast a slug can move when dinner is on the line ... :eyebrow:

BTW - they are less common in Puget Sound than up around Van Isle. You'll find them in abundance in places like Nanaimo, Barkley Sound, and Campbell River.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rick Inman:
Thanks!

Yeah, this thing was definatly a Dendronotus iris (Giant Nudibranch),very simular to the picture here, except very red.

It's length was about a foot long!

Giant-dendronotid.jpg

What type of camera are you using to do your photos of these with? Im interested in starting underwater photos?

Krusty:
What type of camera are you using to do your photos of these with? Im interested in starting underwater photos?
The Google-Image-Search camera :D .

I don't do camera, but you can find lots of great stuff from the Scubaboard experts at the Underwater Photography Forum HERE.

NWGratefulDiver:
Dendronotis Iris come in white and red ... and the white ones come as pictured, and also a more translucent white with very golden fringes. They are typically found in sandy bottomed areas where tube-dwelling anemones live ... that's what they eat, and if you ever see one approaching an anemone, hover for a few minutes and enjoy the show. You won't believe how fast a slug can move when dinner is on the line ... :eyebrow:

BTW - they are less common in Puget Sound than up around Van Isle. You'll find them in abundance in places like Nanaimo, Barkley Sound, and Campbell River.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Here's a picture of the red version from Galiano Island, B.C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom