Need inspiration!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are looking to do two dives tomorrow (Monday the 4th) and one on Tuesday the 5th and we're trying to decide on what sites to visit. We'd like to mix in the metridium fields somewhere in there. We prefer to dive the Monterey side as my girlfriend has a bit of a fear of monastery and although I've done dives there, I don't think I'm fit to lead them yet so just Monterey side suggestions please. I do macro photography and love nudibranchs so if that helps... Also, on a side note, I would really like a nice shot of a jellyfish but they seem to be seasonal around here? Does anyone have any information on when they come in or is it seemingly just random? Thanks and happy diving to all!

Since you have the weekdays to dive I would go to Pt Lobos...

Read up on the Pt Lobos webpage about the different dive sites... but anywhere inside the cove could be considered a Novice divesite (30-40FSW) The more advanced sites are right at the mouth of the cove near the wash rock and across the cove at Granite Pt.

It is a well protected cove and enrty is nothing more than a walk from the parking lot and a giant stride off he end of the boatramp.

Here's the website and make sure to read the rules of the park. Try minimize the impact on the environment (last thing a bird watcher wants to hear is someone blowing their cap off with a tank... use a towel :wink: ) and it is a reserve so no take of anything.

Point Lobos State Reserve - Scuba

Thanks Ben_ca, I've never dove Lobos but am definitely eager too. I think in the short span of time (I dive tomorrow) I don't have enough time to read up on the site appropriately to consider myself prepared to dive it. Do you not need reservations for week days? I'll definitely keep Lobos on my list though. Have you ever dove Macabee? I was reading about it and it didn't seem too extraordinary but it's hard to say without having been there I imagine. Is it worth a visit? Right now my tentative plan is metridium fields tomorrow morning, hidden beach to the breakwater wall in the afternoon and then tuesday morning is still a toss-up, we were thinking otter cove or coral street if conditions permit.

If you are looking for easy I would go with Breakwater/Macabee and set aside otter or coral street for another day.

Remember that if you overstay your welcome at the Met Fields you should be prepared for a free ascent (without a line) or find some kelp to help you make your stops

Remember that if you overstay your welcome at the Met Fields you should be prepared for a free ascent (without a line) or find some kelp to help you make your stops

There is also the issue of boat traffic. Yesterday there were big party boats moving inshore from the met fields area to get a good look at the dolphins that were there.

Back
Top Bottom