Need input on "short hose alternate" reg set up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Newbie on shopping spree!

My original thought was to go with Atomic MI as main reg, and LPI integrated Atomic SS1 as alternate. Of course all the good reasons to NOT go with an integrated alternate make sense.

What are people's thougts on "short hose alternate" worn on necklace with "long hose" main reg? Reasoning behond integrated alternate was to reduce hose clutter. Would "long/short" be a way to accomplish much of the same benefit?

By the way - this would be with a SeaQuest Balance BCD. Also leaning towards Vytec wrist computer WITHOUT air integration wireless at this point - but with SPG on hose.

Thanks again!

If what you're looking for is less hose... the long hose and bungeed back-up won't really get you there. The benefit to that particular reg set-up is ease of air-sharing and having a back-up reg in a very handy spot.

Originally the long hose was to be able to do air sharing exits through restrictions in overhead environment and required a 7' hose. For open water I use a 5' hose and it works fine.

I haven't tried to set it up with anything but a bp/w so I don't know how well it would work logistically. Perhaps someone who has will be along to help you with that side.

Rachel

I prefer using two regs. One on a long hose and one bungied. In all my reg configurations I use the same second stages. Mainly Scubapro S600's or ATX200's. You don't need to go with that high end of a backup if you want to save some money. I just advised a friend to get an Apeks 100 for his primary and a 50 for his backup. Both are very solid regs and won't be over-breathed.

I've done the long hose setup with a number of different BCD's. If you go the 7' route then just tuck the excess into your waistbelt.

I'm guessing that since you want to go with an SPG that your mindset is less about reducing the number of hoses and directed more towards having a fail proof system. There are many threads on this board that speak of the pro's and con's of air integrated regs. Should you want to advance more into the tech realm, then you will be waisting money on an AirII system. Eventually you would change this out for the long hose - bungied backup.

Should you go with a long hose as your primary, then my advice is to practice with it until you get your muscle memory down. You need to know that the long hose is correctly routed so that you can deploy it at any time during your dive. It's not complicated, but it does take practice. As to using this system in a purely recreational dive environment - absolutely. It is the best way to do an airshare no matter what the conditions are.

Although you can learn some great stuff on the internet, I would suggest to try and hook up with some divers who dive the configuration you're interested in, and have them show you the benefits of their system. Finding a good mentor (or two, or three) is probably the most important key to good equipment choices and skills examples. If someone can't explain the exact reasons they choose one kit over another, that might not be a good candidate for mentorship. IMHO, YMMV.

BTW, I dive the M1, and it's a fine reg for cold/dirty water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom