Need info on testing used scuba gear before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi.

I recently purchased a full setup of scuba gear minus a tank and will be diving with it next week as long as it all checks out. I got a US diver regulator + backup reg, a Sherwood BCB, a performance gauge cluster, weight belt, etc. As far as I understand none of it has been used in like 4 years. This is the first gear I have ever owned so I want to be sure I am safe with it. I would like to know what I need to do to have it tested, where can I have it done, how much does it cost etc.

I would also like some info on routine maintinece of my gear if anyone can give me any pointer.

Thanks!
James

Take it to your local dive shop and see if they will service the equipment. They should be able to test everything for you. As far as cost, it will depend on the service parts and the shop labor rates. Service is usually done each year, especially if it gets lots of use, hopefully it will.

Enjoy your time in the water, dive safe

Regs are serviced annually or some every 2 years. Any shop can check them out for nothing but will want to rebuild them. The BC is probably ok but can be hooked up and leak checked easy enough. You can figure 75- 150 to rebuild the regs.

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi.

I recently purchased a full setup of scuba gear minus a tank and will be diving with it next week as long as it all checks out. I got a US diver regulator + backup reg, a Sherwood BCB, a performance gauge cluster, weight belt, etc. As far as I understand none of it has been used in like 4 years. This is the first gear I have ever owned so I want to be sure I am safe with it. I would like to know what I need to do to have it tested, where can I have it done, how much does it cost etc.

I would also like some info on routine maintinece of my gear if anyone can give me any pointer.

Thanks!
James

Hey James:

Well congratulations on getting your own gear; I don't know how much you dive, but if it was even remotely frequently, then renting probably got old real fast.

So, the weight belt probably doesn't need service. Well, I spoke too soon- if it has a plastic buckle, ditch it and get a metal one, stainless steel and heavy duty. Weight keepers are not necessary either, just old skool it with a half twist on each weight.

The regulators, console, and BCD should be looked at by a technician if you are not versed in that kind of thing. Preferably, the shop that you go to should service the US Diver (wow that's kinda old- now their Aqualung) regulators so any Authorized Aqualung Dealer should be able to help you out. I doubt warranty would be in effect here but any service recalls that may have lapsed since the last overhaul will hopefully be addressed.

The BCD and console are not so much brand specific but probably should be viewed under a trained eye this time around as well. Nothing much to these devices, well, unless they fail and you don't know what to do. The BCD controls may look like a simple setup and someone may decide, hey I'm mechanically inclined so I will take it apart and clean it." The problem then may lay with the individual reassembling everything in not the right order or ending up with a few extra parts after assembly. These would be bad.

As far as cleaning, use the techniques that you hopefully learned on your OW class. Nothing Earth shattering, but more common sense. Rinse all gear with fresh water; rinse regulators on an open tank if rinsing the secondary and backup, depressurize, replace dust cap, dry. Rinse BCD out with water, I do three times but I mostly ocean dive and do not want salt deposits in my wing. Some people do two or one, and some people dive so often that the salt never dries! Lucky folks.

Lubricate o-rings every so often on flashlights, try to soak flashlights with switches for a bit before disassembly, cleaning, and storage. Mask, fins, booties, snorkel if used: rinse as needed.

The cost for the inspection of gear and overhaul of regulators can vary with your location. I would say about 120-150 USD depending on costs of parts and labor. A small price to pay for gear you'd hope to be reliable.

Good luck with your new stuff.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Welcome to the board. Since your new to scuba I would suggest you have shop take a look at your new gear, esp the reg. I would expect the cost for the reg to run in the $125-150 range. In the mean time I encourage you to become familure with how your gear works. This has 2 purposes, first you have a good idea when something is wrong and it keeps a less than honest LDS from handing you a line of BS....your reg it too old and unsafe, you must buy our new latest and greatest...I hope most shops don't but there are those who do. The BC is pretty much DYI for anyone, dissamble the valves, soak and clean them and reassemble but you may still want to have the LDS do it. Here is a link I encourage you to read. It has some very good information and will give you the knowledge to carefully inspect your own gear. I am not suggesting this is a substitute for service by a good tech but it will give you a good start at knowing your gear.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html

Back
Top Bottom