Need info on Amistad/Goodenough Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone point me to information on this area and possibly the diving (specifically the spring and cave system itself)? Also any personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

MD

MD

This is NOT personal experience, just some research I did on my own. Goodenough springs exits from the bottom of Lake Amistad. Supposedly it is a somewhat extensive cave system and there is *supposed* to be a permanent guideline installed once you get inside. The information I have seen came out of several books and I would have to refer back to them for specific info. If I can find the info again I will be glad to share it with you as well as the specific book it came out of.

My recollection is as follows.

The spring entrance is at the bottom of lake amistad. Vis in the lake is usually less than 20' due to algae bloom, etc. Supposedly there is a somewhat dense covering of hydrilla on the bottom as well. Amistad is in a state park and the parks and wildlife or some other agency supposedly has a bouy in the middle of the lake. This bouy is said to be anchored at or near the mouth of the spring. I have been told that this spring is an EXTREMELY high flow for the first 30 yds or so, then it opens up into a larger room where the flow is reduced considerably. The depth of the opening is supposed to be around 130' so the flow and depth factor make this an extremely advanced and challenging dive. I only personally know one other cave diver, and I am not sure either of us has the experience to do this particular dive, tho the idea has intrigued me ever since I heard about it.

I will try to find some more specific informatio that I had collected on this for you, and if you get the idea to put together a trip there, I might be interested in going.

Dive often, but dive safe.

John

I'm looking for some Texas based cave diving as I'm pretty fed up with most of the stuff in FL and would like to do some cave diving without having to get on a plane. Could you post or PM a email address where you can be reached for off list discussions?

Any other texas cave experiences are welcomed. I keep hearing about stuff in the Edwards but no one has been there themselves.

I can be reached at maddiver@hotmail.com

thanks

Lance

Originally posted by maddiver
I'm looking for some Texas based cave diving as I'm pretty fed up with most of the stuff in FL and would like to do some cave diving without having to get on a plane. Any other texas cave experiences are welcomed. I keep hearing about stuff in the Edwards but no one has been there themselves.

I second that to anyone out there. I am also willing to do a *reasonable* amount of exploring of possible sites on weekends that may be within driving distance, whether that means just driving to look for potential spots, or diving likely areas to see what is there.

Dive often, but dive safe

John

Back
Top Bottom