Need ideal "carry-on" bag- HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Gang-
Finally bought all our own gear (2 set, his and hers) and we're heading to Cayman in a few weeks. Of course after spending a small fortune, I'm reluctant to let any of this stuff out of my sight. However, I realize I will have to part with fins, wetsuit, booties and other rubbery stuff at the luggage counter.
I would like to take both reulator setups with computer consoles, masks, and our camera equipment with us as carry on. This is the airlines acrry on policy:
"one additional piece totaling no more than 22+13+10 (56cm + 33cm + 25cm), maximum weight 40 lbs (18 kg), which is capable of being stowed under a passenger seat or in an approved overhead cabin compartment"
Now, I'm guessing I'll get two carry-ons so neither one of us will exceed the 40lb. limit and our stuff doesn't need to be crammed tight.
Any suggestions on a suitable carry on, preferably with wheels since neither of us want to lug this stuff on our backs cruising through the airport.
Oceanic makes a nice wheeled backpack but I'm not sure of the dimensions, they don't state it (or, I can't find it) on their website.
My intention is to pack the more durable stuff, wetsuits, fins and BCD's in the checked luggage protected by our clothing, which, is much less valuable than the dive gear.
Any help yould be greatly apprectiated. I'm going to hit Marshalls and TL Maxx today with my tape measure to see if they've got anything suitable lying around.
But I'm sure everyone goes throught this, so bring on the ideas and solutions!
Thanks!

Okay, now I'm relying to my own posts (sick)
Never mind the Oceanic AT 4- dimensions to large 20X15X10
How about Akona XL regulator backpack? No wheels but forjust the regs it would be okay, then maybe a roller for other stuff.............

Asking questions....then answering them??? HUmmmmm...

I just use a small suitcase that meets the requirements....although I often wonder from what I see others bring on board is anyone checking...

The carry on is nothing special, but I did try to find the one with the most rigid sides in case they made me check it at the plane door. My thoughts are the more rigid the sides the more protected my gear....who knows.

In the carry on I can get my BP and Wing, couple masks, cameras and a few other small items. I also take a small backpack where my regs and emergency clothes go.

What new SCUBA travelers sometimes fail to think about when flying is that sometimes you move to a smaller plane to arrive at your final remote island destination.

These smaller planes msot times have tighter baggage limits in terms of both weight and size. So you may need to pay extra baggage fees along the way. Contact ALL airlines and find out before you get a surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom