need help with tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guess my next question is this if I go the LP 104's can they be ordered in DIn yes they trying to convince me not to go din but there are two other shops who recommend din and personally I like the DIN thats why I bought the stuff to switch my atx 200 to din !!!

Hallmac once bubbled...
the LP tank can be overfilled to give you even more cu ft. The HP should not be overfilled.

My two sets of LPs (104s and 95s) are sitting at 3500 psi waiting for me for the weekend. I vastly prefer LPs over HPs.

WW

medic13 once bubbled...
guess my next question is this if I go the LP 104's can they be ordered in DIn yes they trying to convince me not to go din but there are two other shops who recommend din and personally I like the DIN thats why I bought the stuff to switch my atx 200 to din !!!

DIN is far superior in all ways to yoke. With any luck the yoke connection will disappear within a few years. Yes, PST does make a DIN valve.

Only trick with DIN is to make sure you carry a fill adapter as some shops don't native connections. sure, most will have the adapter but its cheap insurance.

WW

ok what tank do you all recommend for steel like the manufacture. and maybe make and modal will need to get one real soon other maybe middle of summer as my regulator being serviced right now and being switched to DIN by the dealer !!

I like Pressed Steel tanks. Either the 104 or 95, depending on how strong you are :) 104 is a good bit longer, both are 8" diameter, 104 is also a good deal heavier (not a biggie until you doble them really).

WW

Get the combo valve and carry the insert. It is smaller than the adapter and will allow you use what ever you choose.

Hallmac

DIN connectors are a superior connection and therefore a better option than yoke. You should probably make sure you address how to use your reg with rental tanks with yoke when that is all that is available. I have a TX-100 with both connectors for the first stage regulator and swap them out as needed.

IMHO, if you are diving singles, HP120 are the best option. I’d throw in the caveat that if you can’t get them filled to 3500 psi in doesn’t make as much sense, I’ve yet to have that problem. If you’re not ready for doubles, you can purchase HP120s now for singles and sell them when you’re ready. Steal tanks tend to hold their value, and based on the prices I’ve seen on Ebay you can get most if all your money back.

To compare apples to apples:

LP-120 120 CU.FT. 50 LBS -0.4 LBS
HP-120 120 CU.FT. 36 LBS -0.4 LBS

Although they have very similar capacity and buoyancy characteristics, you have to lug 14 more pounds around out of the water with the LP tank.

For PST tanks, I my preference order goes:

LP80<HP100<LP104<HP120<new E8-130.

The new PST E8-130 IMHO has a slight edge over the old LP104 and old HP120 as it is the same as the old LP104 in terms of capacity (but are service rated for the higher pressures, so there are no "overfill/cave fill" issues, such as finding someone willing to do it), but the specs I read showed that the new tanks were lighter out of the water and slightly shorter than the 104's. About 6lbs heavier and 3 inches shorter than the HP120's for 10cf more air. Don't know about the bouyency though, but I remember something about them trying to move the bouyency closer to neutral (which may or may not be good for your specific dive profiles).

And go DIN over Yoke, it's just a better connector. As long as you have the proper adapters for filling your tanks, as well as either an adapter for your reg or a second reg set so that you can rent Yoke tanks as needed then you should be fine.

I have 3 PST HP 120's and I have a Faber LP 120 and 2 sets of OMS LP 121 doubles, I also have a LP 100.

I prefer the LP 121's or LP 120, I am 6' 3" so the tall tanks balance better for me.

The main reason I like the LP's are they tend to not rust as easy, getting a short fill never happens, and I usually get them filled to 3800 psi, so I get quite a bit more gas in them than the HP's.

My OMS 121 doubles when filled to 3800 psi gives me 380 cu. ft.
of gas.

Or when I use it as a single I get 190 cu. ft. @ 3800 psi.

I would rather dive a single LP 121, 120 or 100 overpressurized to 3800 than a set of aluminum tanks doubled up.

I have never had any of my steel tanks fail hydro, also all of my steel tanks have din valves on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom