Need help with Shearwater dive log for Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased the Shearwater Teric, and I want to go from paper dive logs (which admittedly I am not always good about filling out) to one that downloads to my iPhone and/or MacBook Air.

I downloaded The Dive Log and the Shearwater Cloud on my iPhone. Then I wanted to download it to my MacBook Air b/c I decided that the bigger picture will be easier to see and just nicer to navigate.

My problem is that now my MacBook Air does not seem to sync to my Teric, and I can't get the Shearwater Cloud to download dives from my Teric.

Any suggestions on where I can go to read more about how to work out issues, and can you call anyone at Shearwater to assist? I'm good at figuring out and editing software once it is installed and "ready" but I am NOT good at figuring out these issues.

Could it be that you cannot have the Teric synced to your iPhone AND your MacBook at the same time?

Thanks

Connect to phone app via Bluetooth & download dives then sync. Go to desktop app & sync to update. Connecting to desktop directly is glitchy so connecting to phone first is a good way to avoid it. Make sure you are using the cloud app for phone & desktop.

I recently purchased the Shearwater Teric, and I want to go from paper dive logs (which admittedly I am not always good about filling out) to one that downloads to my iPhone and/or MacBook Air.

I downloaded The Dive Log and the Shearwater Cloud on my iPhone. Then I wanted to download it to my MacBook Air b/c I decided that the bigger picture will be easier to see and just nicer to navigate.

My problem is that now my MacBook Air does not seem to sync to my Teric, and I can't get the Shearwater Cloud to download dives from my Teric.

Any suggestions on where I can go to read more about how to work out issues, and can you call anyone at Shearwater to assist? I'm good at figuring out and editing software once it is installed and "ready" but I am NOT good at figuring out these issues.

Could it be that you cannot have the Teric synced to your iPhone AND your MacBook at the same time?

Thanks
Congratulations on your Teric. The Shearwater computers are fantastic. Their software, not so much. Since you said you have a Mac and an iPhone, I cannot recommend MacDive highly enough. Available for both macOS and iOS and syncs between the two. I've been using it for years. Only thing I use the Shearwater app on the iPhone for is firmware updates for my Perdix.

Phone app will work in most cases, then you will be able to pull everything up on your MacBook.

Different versions seem to function differently for my MacBook. Some versions work great, others just don’t. I’m currently using V2.6.5. 2.7.1 is the latest, but it doesn’t seem to work right on my older Mac running Catalina. Try different versions.

The link to the current version is: https://www.Shearwater.com/wo-content/downloads/ShearwaterCloudinstaller_2.7.1.dmg

Just replace 2.7.1 in the above with an older version number to get the older installer.

Phone app will work in most cases, then you will be able to pull everything up on your MacBook.

Different versions seem to function differently for my MacBook. Some versions work great, others just don’t. I’m currently using V2.6.5. 2.7.1 is the latest, but it doesn’t seem to work right on my older Mac running Catalina. Try different versions.

The link to the current version is: https://www.Shearwater.com/wo-content/downloads/ShearwaterCloudinstaller_2.7.1.dmg

Just replace 2.7.1 in the above with an older version number to get the older installer.

Thanks. I'm not sure how you install with an older version? Maybe my MacBook is old enough (3 yrs) that this latest version is not running properly.

To be honest, it is very difficult to figure this out without someone walking me through it, so I may see about the MacDive as "hazmat" referenced above. Or I might try calling the dive buddy we met on Aggressor a couple of years ago who highly recommended the Dive Log from Shearwater. Ugh...I hate feeling so challenged with technology at times.

I do have the "Catalina" version of MacBook Air. I'm downloading the "Big Sur" now. Maybe the software will work then, I'll see.

I thought maybe the issue was trying to download the dive log/Shearwater Cloud to my iPhone and then to my MacBook, and I need to un-synch it from my phone? I have no clue.

I wish there was a "Help Desk" I could call like at my company and have someone walk me through what to do! I want to have a dive log that downloads and I can edit, instead of the paper dive logs. I don't always write everything down and am very sporadic about keeping my logs in the old-fashioned handwritten way lol.

Maybe someone on the Juliet will be able to help me....

Dive Log is actually the name of another dive log software. Shearwater Cloud is the Shearwater one. Prefer MacDive myself.

Thanks. A friend who has been using Shearwater for years told me to download the "Dive Log" and then said I had to download "shearwater cloud." in order for "Dive Log" to properly work. WTF? I'm really confused now.

I think I'm going to download MacDive today. The situation above is too confusing.

I always have had issues with my Perdix connecting to my MacBook. Better luck with iPhone.

Thanks. I'm not sure how you install with an older version? Maybe my MacBook is old enough (3 yrs) that this latest version is not running properly.
3 years is young. Mine is 12, so I’m limited right now in going beyond Catalina. I suspect that may be part of the problem with the latest version. To install an older version, just copy the link I posted and paste to the address bar in Safari. Before you hit enter, replace the “2.7.1” in the link with “2.6.5”

I do have the "Catalina" version of MacBook Air. I'm downloading the "Big Sur" now. Maybe the software will work then, I'll see.

I thought maybe the issue was trying to download the dive log/Shearwater Cloud to my iPhone and then to my MacBook, and I need to un-synch it from my phone? I have no clue.
If you’ve downloaded the dives to your phone using Shearwater Cloud, then you shouldn’t need to download again from the Teric to the Mac. As long as both are signed into the same account you should be able to pull from the cloud. Check in Profile to make sure they both list the same email address. If those match, clicking Sync should pull from the cloud.

Thanks. A friend who has been using Shearwater for years told me to download the "Dive Log" and then said I had to download "shearwater cloud." in order for "Dive Log" to properly work. WTF? I'm really confused now.

I think I'm going to download MacDive today. The situation above is too confusing.
Shearwater Cloud is needed in order to perform firmware updates, updating the welcome screen, etc. The phone app will work fine for that purpose.

You can absolutely use MacDive, or several other options for logging the dives. No requirement to use Shearwater Cloud, or even having Shearwater Cloud to just log. MacDive, Subsurface, and DivingLog are all options for this. Subsurface is free, I believe the others have a nominal charge to have both the computer and mobile versions synced. Benefit of these options is if you have dives from another computer brand, these 3rd party options should be able to import those, so you’ll have your entire log in one tool.

Shearwater Cloud would be required for firmware updates, though as none of the 3rd party apps are able to do this.

Back
Top Bottom