Need help with rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kravi

Registered
Reaction score
So on the 12th of August I was diving the Vandenburg and another wreck in Key West. My knee ended up hitting a coral covered pole sticking up out of the "other" wreck, and got abraded. Anyway, about two weeks ago, I noticed that the redness where it hit hadn't gone away, though it wasn't really itchy (just once in a while). But for the past three days, I've noticed I'm getting red dots appearing on my ankles, and now shins, like there is some sort of bacterial infection that is spreading (both legs). These dots don't itch, and there is no read streakiness, but the fact that they are spreading has me worried.

I'll be seeing a doctor on Monday, but my doctor is not a diver. Any ideas what this is?

--Me

Kravi,

30 days is a pretty long incubation time for a bacterial infection. It's not unheard of to have a delayed local histamine reaction at the site of the injury but a rash on both legs is more worrisome for some sort of systemic response.

Photos would be helpful; can you post some?

Best regards,
DDM

Ok, here are some photos.

First, my left knee (where it originated):

left_knee.jpg

Second, my left ankle:

left_ankle.jpg
And last, my right foot:

right_foot.jpg

Thanks!

--Me

EDIT: Any shininess is because I just put neosporin on before I took the pictures.

My guess is that you probably brushed up against the same critter with your ankles and didn't notice it. Can you keep us posted with what your MD says?

Best regards,
DDM

My guess is that you probably brushed up against the same critter with your ankles and didn't notice it. Can you keep us posted with what your MD says?

Best regards,
DDM

Sure can, but I know that is not it. Yesterday, a month of after diving last, I got the spots on the back of my ankle. They were certainly not there three days before :/ Same thing with the dots on the front of my feet. They only appeared a week ago (and I was wearing booties under my fins which covered this part of feet).

--Me

I've seen similar in a diving acquaintance recently and have heard of this occurring to others. I'm not positive of course since it is not firsthand but is a secondary reaction to the first site. You must see a doctor and try to find one who will have experience in this area. Get to a dermatologist if possible. You probably need an antibiotic and a cortisone cream of some sort. This will probably last quite a while but not being treated should not be an option. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

I had a similar rash in July , it appeared 10 days after diving the Bahamas . I was put on an antibiotic and it went away . Mine was on feet and legs up to knees , hands and arms to elbows , looked similar to op .
I did not link it to anything to do with my trip as it was over a week that it appeared . hmmmmm

It's hard to tell from photos but it doesn't seem to have the look of a bacterial infection and a delayed hypersensitivity reaction should itch. Plus it's a little too long from exposure to rash. Any chance this isn't dive related? Any thing else unusual the days before the onset of the rash?

It's hard to tell from photos but it doesn't seem to have the look of a bacterial infection and a delayed hypersensitivity reaction should itch. Plus it's a little too long from exposure to rash. Any chance this isn't dive related? Any thing else unusual the days before the onset of the rash?

Well, my left knee did scrape the coral and get red and inflamed (and never went away). After 3 weeks or so, more dots showed up on my feet, and since the look and feel the same, I can only assume they are related.

I'll be calling my dermatologist Monday and I'll let y'all know the prognosis.

--Me

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 01:06 PM ----------

Ok, spoke to the good doctor today, who told me it was an allergic reaction. She is putting me on a topical steroid + pregnazone and it *should* take care of the problem. If it comes back, then they'll need to poke around my skin to see if all the coral came out, but that isn't likely.

I'll let you all know if it worked.

--Me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom