Need help with developing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeW0311

Reaction score
I could use some help, can anyone give me suggestions on getting my underwater film developed. I am using a reefmaster with strobe, and have taken many pictures, but the quality of the prints is not good/very inconsistent. The local photo shops do not have much experience with developing or compensating for underwater photo's.
Is there a "general" compensation for this type of developing?

also,

The Kodak developing that has been mentioned in this forum is not available from any of the local dive shops.

Thanks

Mike:

I like to shoot print film so I will take a shot at your question. I don't think your problem is developing. Most print film uses a c-41 process and getting negatives produced is hard to screw up. Printing the negs is another matter. Not all negative film is the same so the operator has to know the proper settings or standard color correction for the film you are using. An UW photograph can also be high contrast, with a strobe lit subject standing out against a darker background. If your negative strip is being shoved through a computer control print machine, it's attempt to "balance" the shot will make your subject appear over exposed even though you shot it right (or close to correct).

Print operator skill is everything. A good operator will figure out what you are doing and apply any needed manual color adjusments and density (exposure) adjustments to your work. Unfortunately, this process is labor intensive and is not to be expected from a high volume low cost processor.

My favorate lab recently closed its doors so I know how frustrating the search for a good lab can be. You are usually looking for a mom and pop type operation. Start with your local camera shop that seems to cater to pro photographers and explain your problem. See who they use or suggest. When you find a lab, explain your needs. If you don't like the results, ask the tech that printed your film what went wrong. If you don't get an intelligent answer, keep looking. If you find a good lab, tell your friends. It is hard for the independants to compete with the big volume discount outfits and quality is all they have to sell.

I have given you the benefit of the any doubts about the quality of your shots. If you can be more specific about your problems, I think you will find a lot of good help and constructive suggestions on this forum.

---Bob

Without seeing your photos I have to agree with Bob. Finding a lab that will give your photos more attention than just loading into an automatic machine is the trick.

One of my best results with having film printed was from Echerds Drug Store, a chain of retail stores in our area. Just so happened the girl who ran the printing machine was a frustrated diver wannabe. She had severe inner ear problems and could not get certified. She took the time to work with me to get the pictures right, printing and inspecting each photo. I wasn't charged extra for this service but I had to wait sometimes up to a week for the results. That was fine with me to get her personal touch.

What I'm trying to say is talk to these people. Take photos in with you as examples of what color blues are found underwater. Alot of these lab people have no clue what underwater looks like! Also be realistic. The photos from your Reefmaster is not going to produce photos like alot found here on the board and in magazines!

Hello,

Perhaps the best way to effectively use a 1hour lab is to use the process and toss the prints. Either scan the images you wish to keep or send it to a pro lab for propper processing.

Keep in mind that any lab can develop the film but not all places can give you good prints.

Ed

My u/w camera is the "old fashioned kind" -- 35 mm, and I use a local shop Motophoto and have had good results with my u/w shots.

What's great is that they also do digital prints, so when I upgrade, I won't have to find someone else.

Mike providing everything is ok on the neg the results should be at least fair. On the rare occasions that I use print film I always ask for + 1 red, + 1 yellow and - 1 green . Try it and see if that gives you a more pleasing color.

ScubaBOBuba and Blacknet pretty much summed this one up already. I would add taht there may some problems on the exposure end of things. The point and shoot may not be giving optimal quality especially when it is trying to control the strobe too.

Kodak has 2 types of processing that work well for UW photography:
- Sea Processing is specific for UW photo's, but is hard to find. it is usually sold through dive centers.
- PerfectTouch is not specific for UW photo's and (at least in the US) available at every photostore, drugstore and supermarket.

I always use PerfectTouch for my UW photo's and it gives a much better quality than standard processing: more vivid colors, better sharpness, better contrast. It's about 50% more expensive, but compared to what I put into my UW camera system that is hardly significant and IMHO well worth the money.

RB

Note: I don't work for or have stock in Kodak.

I've had great success with Kodak Sea Processing, which is actually performed by a contract shop in Florida. Even when the film was developed by other, printing by these folks was very good. Check your local dive shop for details.
TEdJ

I just noticed that you can purchase Kodak Sea Pricessing through Divers Direct , so availability is not an issue. I haven't checked LeisurePro, who is usually cheaper, but they may sell it also.

RB

Back
Top Bottom