Need Help with 2010 Trip: Malapascua + Anilao or Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuel Sam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Planning to do Malapascua next year for threshers.

Would like to include a second leg to the trip and I have narrowed it down to either Dumaguete or Anilao. Would appreciate your help in deciding.

Reading past threads, both seem to have decent accommodations and dive operations.

So I’m trying to decide on the basis of

first, and foremost, the diving: where might I have a better chance of seeing pelagic/big stuff OR exotic macro stuff (Blue-Ring Octopus, Rhinopias, ghostpipefish, and unusual nudis are high on my list) as opposed to the middle-of-the-road stuff like reef fish and corals that you see pretty much everywhere; and

second, the logistics and ease of getting there from Cebu without an intermediate overnight, as well as logistics and ease of getting back to Manila to fly out.

I appreciate your help.

Manuel

Hello
I have been to Duma and although you cannot dive the DuCoMi pier anymore, the macro stuff there was great. Probably at least 2 dozen different nudis, ornate and robust ghost pipefish, and frogfish of every size and color on every dive. Not much big stuff. Since you have to fly from Cebu, you will already be at Manila airport for the connection to Duma - a 1 hour flight, vs. a 3-4 hour drive to Anilao. I have not been to Anilao and would like to someday, but it is my understanding that the "resorts" there are much simpler than in Duma. I stayed at El Dorado where you can get a nice room with A/C and cable TV and 3 meals a day for $60US, more if you want a fancier room. There are nicer but more expensive places nearby. Also, El Dorado has free nitrox, which will likely save you $150-200 for a week of diving. I am going back to El Dorado next spring.

Have Fun
John

its an easy ferry ride from cebu to Dumaguete so you dont have to fly and lose a diving day. mostly macro stuff in dauin, dumaguete with some turtles and jacks. for some variety, most resorts in dauin organize dives to apo island where there are big schools of jacks and some bigger fish like napoleon wrasse, mackerel and bumphead parrotfishes.

Malapascua. Make sure you are there are the right time of year. Some friends went recently. They were there for a week. Saw one Thresher at a distance. As has been noted, on that reef you either have a sighting or you are just blowing bubbles. Nothing else on the reef.

Malapascua. Make sure you are there are the right time of year. Some friends went recently. They were there for a week. Saw one Thresher at a distance. As has been noted, on that reef you either have a sighting or you are just blowing bubbles. Nothing else on the reef.

If all you are looking for are thresher sharks then that will be all you will see or not see.:doh2:

Back
Top Bottom