Need help very odd with steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fieldzy0

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just switched to a worthing 130 steel tank and something odd is happening now and i would like some advice from some knowledgable people. I have been diving this tank for eight dives now and every time after the dive i'm dizzy, bad headaches and feel like i have motion sickness. I have used AL80's for the past two years with now problems at all. Could i be alergete to something inside the steel tank?? This is very odd to me and maybe somebody that has gone through this could help, or somebody might know what is causing this?? Is there something in the tank????

Yes i seen a Doc. no ear problems at all, he said everything looks good and he has now idea's what is happening.

The most likely culprit is the fill station. First thing that comes to mind is CO, does it have a different taste/smell? However, you would need to analyze the gas to determine for sure. I wouldn't dive that tank/fill supplier again until I knew for sure what was going on, it might be my last. You could take the tank somewhere else and have it filled (after dumping all the gas currently in it) Wouldn't hurt to get a viz on it since if it is the fill it might have oil blowby or other contaminates as well.

That said, has anything else changed besides the tank?

With the doctor taken care of I'd get a viz, have it ventilated and refilled. You could have the gas analyzed but it would be a money pit.

I concur, contaminated air which has possibly left a contaminant in the cylinder is the first thing that springs to mind, but I would have to ask, is the tank new or used?

If its a new cylinder there is a possibility of the cylinder not been properly cleaned before shipping and has traces of manufacturing contaminants - manufacturers will say its unlikely to occur, but in reality it can and dos.

Either way, I would also agree, have the cylinder properly cleaned and re-filled at another station and try again, chances are it will be fine.

Yes the tank is new fresh from that factory. I have not changed my diving habits at all. So i will bring the tank in for vis. and cleaning. I have had my AL80 filled at the same store with no problems at all so why would the air be bad in my steel. Mybe bad stuff in there from factory??

Then Yes, I do believe there are still manufacturing contaminants in the cylinder.

A good chemical clean, wash and dry should sort it out, dont forget to give the valve the same treatment as well.

Good luck, lets hear how it went.

You don't happen to be walking any distance with that huge tank on your back are you?

N

Today i did a test i filled my AL80's at the same store and went diving. What a nice surprise, no effects after the dives at all. So there is something left in my steel tanks to cause my problems. I'm going to get the tank nitox cleaned and hopfully that will solve my problems. Will let you know about the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom