Need help to remove water stains on my Canon housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoomzoom

New
Reaction score
i need expert opinions as i don't want to ruin my canon housing using regular glass cleaners to get rid of the water stains. thanks.

Water stains? You mean like water marks from droplets of water drying and leaving behind deposits or something else?

jeraldjcook:
Water stains? You mean like water marks from droplets of water drying and leaving behind deposits or something else?

Probably drying up and leaving a little bit of salt residue behind. No joke...toothpaste works. I use it all the time...

If they are on the outside, just rise the housing in distilled water and they'll go away. On the inside, I'd use distilled water and a lint-free cloth and wipe them off. They shouldn't hurt anything though if they're from fresh water. I just checked mine and it has a couple as well.

Toothpaste does work well (old school Crest, nothing special) because it's slightly abrasive, but it might be bit over-kill to get rid of water spots. That, and I always seem to have a problem getting all the residue out of every corner and crevice.

Isn't the normal method of removing water stains (dissolved mineral deposits) using a solution of vinegar/water or perhaps some calcium/lime/rust deposit remover product like those used to clean humidifiers and the such? Something 'non abrasive'?

(I'm assuming your housing is not made of glass but a plastic of some sort...)

A good soaking in fresh water should sort this out. Distilled water works very well if you live in an area with hard water (as I do). The spots may be residue from your "fresh water" rinse - I get it all the time. Best method I've found is to make sure to really dry the housing after rinsing it in fresh water and blow gently across all buttons and levers and clasps to make sure all the droplets are gone before storing.

one this that works well is adding a little bit of vinegar to some water. i use about 60ml in a 700ml spray bottle. the acidity of the vinegar will help take off the more stubborn water spots. try it it works well. i only us it on the ports i do not us it on the housing its self for that i use de-ionized water. but first i wash the housing with just regular tap water and then us the DI water as a final rinse. this is the tried and true method that i used and i never have water spots that i can no get rid of this way. also i rinse my camera right after each dive tap water that i carry with me this has made the biggest difference for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom