Need help to plan a trip to the Grand Caymans!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xepi33

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning an 8 days trip to the Grand Cayman for the last week of August. Does anyone have advice or a diving tour operator to recommend. I am looking to buy a diving package. Should I book it before I leave. Thank you!:)

.. and found some good info in the archives. Run a search and you'll get a bunch of good stuff!

Drew Sailbum, CaymanCasey, and DocVikingo in particular have thrown out some good info and their posts are like gold to a first time traveller to GC.

BTW, yes I think you should book before you go, to eliminate any headaches. Do your homework here in the Carribean archives and pick the spot that sounds best for you and email them and let them know your coming. It would suck to get there and have to spend your time going from shop to shop because the slots are filled on their boats. If you aren't sure exactly how many dives you'll do, let the dive op know that too and give them your best guess as tyo how many you'll do. That way they will at least have an idea that you might want a slot on their boat. I think that would be better that just waiting until you got down there. Have fun!

Dove with Red Baron (Nick and Patrick). Great, fast and small, 8 diver boats. Both are very experienced and knowledgable, extremely service oriented and fun. Either is a great guide or happy to let you and a buddy do your own thing. They very quickly size up your quals and do the right things for your experience level.

If you're diving interested takes you any where other than east I think they're the team to seek out

Joe

Lots of things to consider in setting up a Cayman vacation.

Do you prefer to be "in the middle of everything" or "off in a relatively secluded area?"

Are you looking for a hotel, resort, or condo for accomodation? What level of comfort basic, moderate, or luxury?

Are you looking to do lots of shore diving, or hook up with a boat operator to take care of things?

In general, summer is considered off season for the island, however on East End summer can be very busy. If you want to boat dive on East End, then I'd suggest booking your dives pronto. We've been filling our boats and turning people away the last three weeks.

East End is the secluded part of the island. Seven Mile Beach/Georgetown/West Bay are on the heavily developed west side.

Most shore diving is on the west side though there are lots of boat operators to choose from. On East End there are only three dive operators to choose among and boat diving is the way to go. Only a couple of shore dives on East End.

Tons of housing choices all over the west side with everything from fairly basic to high end resorts. Many fewer options on East End with most tourists staying at one of two large resorts or at Cayman Dive Lodge (nice, but basic). There are a scattering of condos all over the island, and this is a popular option for families.

I did Grand Cayman about 4 years ago and we did our boat diving with Ocean Frontiers on the East End and our shore diving with Eden Rock, Sunset House & Dive Tech.

No complaints about any op listed above.

Have fun!

Lori

Dove GC in April with Neptune's Divers. Highly recommended.

Rich Hagelin

For our two cents we recommend Divetech as a Dive operator that has it all. When you boat dive with them the shorediving was free. They called it 24 hour diving.. They have custom dive boats, but it was their staff that made the trip awesome. They were all instructors and their shore diving was come and go as you please. Their two shore diving shops had beautiful reefs and tons of marine life on the northwall. No matter who you choose, the diving in Grand Cayman is some of the best in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom