Need Help!! Titan LX w/ABS or MK16/S550/R390??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staticcornflake

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey Everybody! I'm new to this site, been reading up on regulators but haven't found anything that compares the Aqualung Titan LX to the Scubapro MK16/S550. (I'm assuming they are pretty close in quality as they are pretty close in price). I dive mostly cold water (50 degrees F), but occasionally dive Cozumel. I have used the Titan LX and it is almost like breathing at the surface. Have never used any Scubapro's, but hear that they are equal if not better than Aqua Lung. I am primarily looking for the best breathing regulator of the two, but also want a certain amount of durability. (Trying to stick with these two brands.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going on a dive trip next week and it seems kind of stupid to rent a reg for a week, when I could just buy one from my LDS or LP.

Thanks!!

staticcornflake:
Hey Everybody! I'm new to this site, been reading up on regulators but haven't found anything that compares the Aqualung Titan LX to the Scubapro MK16/S550. (I'm assuming they are pretty close in quality as they are pretty close in price). I dive mostly cold water (50 degrees F), but occasionally dive Cozumel. I have used the Titan LX and it is almost like breathing at the surface. Have never used any Scubapro's, but hear that they are equal if not better than Aqua Lung. I am primarily looking for the best breathing regulator of the two, but also want a certain amount of durability. (Trying to stick with these two brands.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going on a dive trip next week and it seems kind of stupid to rent a reg for a week, when I could just buy one from my LDS or LP.

Thanks!!

I think it is hard to go wrong with ScubaPro...

I use a MK20 / G250 and it performs very well with a R390 as my backup. If your LDS carries AquaLung you might want to look at Apeks as well - very good for cold water (esp. the DS4 1st Stage).

I use the Titan LX and have no problem recommending it. I would reconsider the ABS though. For only a few bucks more you can get a better octopus that breaths better.

Bill.

So pretty much what I'm hearing is that they are both pretty good. My LDS does both brands, so I'll probably just tr both out and make my descicion.

Thanks!!

staticcornflake:
So pretty much what I'm hearing is that they are both pretty good. My LDS does both brands, so I'll probably just tr both out and make my descicion.

Thanks!!

That would probably be the best thing to do.

Cheers,
Bill.

staticcornflake:

Thanks!!

I had a Titan LX for 4 years and only recently upgraded. I am keeping my Titan as a travel rig because I never had a problem with availability of spare parts while traveling. Not sure about the SP however it is something to consider. I agree about upgrading the octo if your budget allows.

staticcornflake:
Thanks again guys. If I end up going the Titan route, I'll upgrade to either the Titan/Calypso octo or the LX octo.

Thanks for the advice!!

Jesse

I have the Titan LX and my brother has the SP. We love'm both. For me, the Titan was cheaper to maintain in the long run (and a little cheaper up front). The big seller for me though was the mouthpiece. The Titan has the comfobite which is huge for me because I have pretty bad TMJ. That mouthpiece makes holding the reg effortless.

I'm sure you could just stick that MP on the SP but it might cost a couple of $$ to do it.

crlavoie:
I'm sure you could just stick that MP on the SP but it might cost a couple of $$ to do it.
Worst case the MP shouldn't set you back much from any Aqualung dealer. If the comfobite is that important to you then you should have a spare around anyway!

I love my Titan LX. Breathes smooooth from 0 to 115fsw.

Back
Top Bottom