Need help planning a dive trip to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a business card and brochure at DEMA are week, I can send you details tomorrow if you like. Probably bundles everything you need, within the legal guidelines.
Hi- my 2 friends and I are looking at Cuba as a possibility but not on a liveaboard in the next 6 weeks. Can you send me what you have. I have heard Gardens of the Queen is the best but is it only available by liveaboard?

Hi- my 2 friends and I are looking at Cuba as a possibility but not on a liveaboard in the next 6 weeks. Can you send me what you have. I have heard Gardens of the Queen is the best but is it only available by liveaboard?
Sorry, it was the liveaboard info that I picked up. Nothing ala carte to pass along.

Yes and yes, like Tursiops.
Jardines de la Reina is 60 miles off shore (3 - 5 hours depending on your tender/liveaboard) from Jucaro, Cuba, which is a 6 - 7 hour bus ride from Havana. That's why it's still so pristine.

(We broke up the ride by staying in Bay of Pigs overnight and diving the wall and cenote, which we were very glad for. We did the long ride back, including stops here and there. It was worth it though.)

I picked up a business card and brochure at DEMA are week, I can send you details tomorrow if you like. Probably bundles everything you need, within the legal guidelines.
Trying a second time...I received notice that there was a problem with my earlier submission...so apploies
Yes and yes, like Tursiops.
Jardines de la Reina is 60 miles off shore (3 - 5 hours depending on your tender/liveaboard) from Jucaro, Cuba, which is a 6 - 7 hour bus ride from Havana. That's why it's still so pristine.

(We broke up the ride by staying in Bay of Pigs overnight and diving the wall and cenote, which we were very glad for. We did the long ride back, including stops here and there. It was worth it though.)
Thank you for the info. I guess I will have to do this on a liveaboard (proper way given the distance from shore) in the future. I appreciate your information.

Thank you for the info. I guess I will have to do this on a liveaboard (proper way given the distance from shore) in the future. I appreciate your information.

Np. I should mention that it's not only the distance from shore, but Jardines is a Marine Protected Area. When I went, only Avalon held a permit, but there may be others now.

If you are looking for shore diving, I will recommend against the Bay of Pigs (Playa Giron). I was there two years ago and the vis was not good- the operation was also very bad. The equipment was in very bad shape and I'm not too sure the operator was licensed. :O If I were to do it again, I would have gone to Veradero. More operators and tourism so you are likely to get better service and operations. It is also closer to Havana, if that is where you are staying. As far as entry and exit into the country, I'll bet if it even matters, you would qualify for "person-to-person" exemption. Just a guess:wink:

My wife and I live in the USA and we would like to go diving in Cuba this winter (2018/2019).

We do not speak Spanish, so we are looking for an all-inclusive travel package.

We are experienced divers.

We are not interested in a live-aboard, we want to stay ashore and see the culture.

Does anyone have an experience or suggestions to help us sort through all of the stuff we're finding online?

Thanks

There is no legal way to do this now currently. My non for profit dive shop just had to cancel a trip ( as in today on 2/11/2019 ) that had been planned for the past 2 years, leaving next week, because we could find no legal mechanism by which to do this. If you didnt go a couple years ago when Obama had loosened the travel rules, you are SOL until a new administration comes in, and hopefully reverses Trumps stupidity.

Unless you want to travel from another third party country anyways.

I thought you had to have an approved itinerary, or approved "sponsor". I didn't think it was as easy as stating your itinerary and going.

Na. Trump changed the rules. Only way now is either travel via a third country, or wait for a different administration.

Back
Top Bottom