Need help picking out a wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armueller2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a $50 gift card for Dick's sporting goods so I'd like to purchase one from there, but the brands they have (Hyperflex, Execute Sports, Body Glove) seem like they're designed for surfing and not SCUBA. Would this be a problem?

Here's what they have listed for their wetsuits. I'd prefer a 3mm shorty but a full suit would be OK I guess.

Wetsuits - Wetsuits & Rashguards - Dick's Sporting Goods

In my experience, I would stay away from anything with flatlock stitching. The threads go all the way through the material, which allows water to wick through. I have a Pinnacle wetsuit, it is blind stitched and comfortable as hell. As far as the selection at Dick's, it does look quite limited. If you can find one of the right thickness with blind stitching, I would say go for it. But, for myself, I think I would use the gift card on something else and buy my suit elsewhere. I have found great deals here on the board, on Craigslist, and on Ebay. You should also check out leisurepro. They have a fit guarantee. So, if you find a suit you like and order it, but find it's the wrong size, they will pay for the shipping to exchange it. I see you're diving in the midwest, what kind of insulation are you looking for?

I see you're diving in the midwest, what kind of insulation are you looking for?

I'll be leaving for Belize/Cozumel in a week and a half, so a shorty 3mm or so was what I was thinking.

Ahh, Roger that. Makes sense. It's all up to you, but I always dive in a full suit. Not only does it keep me warm, but it protects me from jellyfish/anything else I might brush against. There are alot of jellyfish around here, not dangerous, but they can be a nuisance. Not sure about Cozumel as far as that goes. Take my advice with a grain of salt, at the end of the day, you should be fine in a shorty down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom