Need Help Picking Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeyjoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am a new diver and will be purchasing two dive lights for my Advanced course. I have pretty much decided on my backup light, but need some unbiased advise as to what main light to buy. I like the Pelican AquaKing D8 lantern grip, but am also looking at the UK C8. I would also consider the UK C4 LED. My budget is $50 - $65.

I will do a night dive in my course, and if it goes well, occasionally after that. I would also bring them along on day dives to brighten up these British Columbia waters, for looking in octopus dens and such.

Any advise would be much appreciated.....

I have regreted not getting an LED ever since I bought my UKC8. The higher wave length "cooler light" of the LED light penetrates the water much better than regular lamps. The almost blue light is more applealing to the eye underwater. I feel that there is softer transition between the illumitated area and the darkness beyond the reach of the light. The softer transition makes it easyer to see objects beyond the reach of the light beam. I dive with a friend at night and find my self turning off my light and just using his alot of the time. This is expecialy true when I am bug hunting.

One option I am considering is buying the replacement LED lamp head for my C8. This may be a good choice for you as well once you can round up the extra money.

Mikey,
definetly go for the LED model... The difference is tremendous. You can read my review of the SL4e-Led I just bought in comparison with a regular C4. I'm sure the c4e-Led will be a much better buy... If you really really need a lot of light, I suggest you scrounge up a few extra bucks for the C8e-led (I think it's currently 75$US at leisurepro.com).

I wasn't sure about the e-led vs regular lamp technology, but now I have no regrets! And I don't think you will either...

Just my 0.02$

Thanks for the input - I think I'll go for the C8 LED...... Bigger is better........

It clearly depends on what you use the light for and where you dive. LED has a clear advantage in lower visibility fresh water and is a good light for night dives of all kinds. If you take the light to use it to illuminate reefs, fish etc. to bring out the colors, you'd be way better off with the C8.

My night dive for my Advanced class got moved up, and the UK C8 LED was backordered, so I replaced it with the PrincetonTec C8 LED. There was an island several hundred feet offshore, so a guy with the UK C8 LED and I took turns illuminating the island, and the PrincetonTec was noticably brighter. It has 3 led modules as apposed to the UK which has 1. Underwater, for $100, it was a great performer. I am looking forward to taking it on the rest of my Advanced course this weekend for looking in crevices, etc....

Thanks again for your input.....

Looks like there is now a c8 eLED plus that has 2 x 5 watt LEDs, which might be as bright or brighter than the 9 watt (3 x 3 watts) Princeton.

I promise there is nothing brighter than the Pelican AquaKing 80. It is a beacon to be reckoned with. Kinda heavy though since it holds 8 "D" batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom