Need help ID'ing small German bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was left with this bottle which I'd like to pass along to someone who would use it, if only I knew what it was!

I came across a similar looking bottle on a German website, with a yoke cage valve instead of this 'male' DIN valve, but the use of the 'wrong' side of the valves on these bottles has got me stumped. Can someone explain what these are used for?

The bottle is marked Pressluft-TG 200 Seemann, which is about all I can make any sense of - Seemann-made compressed air bottle (don't know what the TG 200 signifies).

Also marked: 320S 0,47 300 1,65 02 D 10 C5333346

There are what may be hydro or proofing numbers 11 89 (with 91 printed directly under the 89) and TU12 in a circle.

The bottle weighs 4.5 pounds and a magnet will stick to it.

Any help understanding the purpose and specs of this cylinder is appreciated.

Attachments

• P1000932.jpg
    P1000932.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 68
  • P1000933.jpg
    P1000933.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 45
  • P1000934.jpg
    P1000934.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 50
I have a few very similar bottles with a yoke fitting. It is used in a Fenzy style horse collar BC and the reason for the reverse valve fitting is because the user refills the bottle directly from their Scuba cylinder.

At least here in the US this bottles do not require a hydro test since they are under the 2 inch diameter rule, but it is very important to do regular visual inspections on them since they are not used with an SPG and therefore it is not uncommon for them to get accidentally emptied.

The original Fenzy bottles I own use a similar tapered pipe thread as the one you have. They are also made out of steel like that one. I also recently got a newer aluminum one with a straight thread that came with a similar Spirotechnique horse collar type BC.

The little knob on the back I bet is the bleed valve.

The threads in the neck of that bottle could easily be metric.

I have never seen this specific arrangement with a DIN style of fitting. It is possible that it might be a vintage East German BC. Actually the date contradicts my last statement, so I am not sure the actual origin.

You should post these pictures in VintageScubaSupply.com and VintageDoubleHose.com. There are a few active vintage equipment members from Europe, specifically from Germany in both of those sites.

I have never seen this specific arrangement with a DIN style of fitting. It is possible that it might be a vintage East German BC. Actually the date contradicts my last statement, so I am not sure the actual origin.

I can interpret some of it.

Pressluft-TG <<== Pressluft is the German word for "compressed air". Don't know what the TG means but it could mean "Tauch-Gemeinschaft" which would be "diving community" in German, which may indicate it was intended for use as a scuba cylinder. It might be an important distinction if the manufacturer makes cylinders for other purposes as well... All in all I think you can read this as "compressed air scuba"

200 <<== working pressure 200 bar
Seemann, <<== manufacturer Seemann Sub Germany www.seemannsub.de/

320S <<== no idea (possibly indicates that the tank is made from steel but you already know that because a magnet will stick to it)

0,47 <<== internal volume of cylinder in liters (it's a small cylinder about 3.3cf, like a spare air)

300 <<== hydro pressure 300 bar

1,65 <<== weight of the cylinder in kilograms (incidentally, the stamp on the cylinder says 1,85)

02 D 10 <<== probably the date of manufacture (presumably october 2002? )

C5333346 <<== serial number

The NF stamp *may* mean "Norm Français" which migh indicate that it was manufactured by Seemann for sale in France.... but I'm not sure. The European norm is called CE and EN so it's not that. This impression is enhanced by the word Mignon on the valve, which is French for "cute" or "dainty". In any event I don't recall any German valves with cute names....

Hope that helps.

This is probably some kind of bailout bottle like the kind that AP Valves (Buddy) used on thier BCD's or something like a spare air. Something like this can also be attached to a lift bag or a blob. You can see one of these bailout bottles mounted on a Buddy BCD on the bottom left of the attached picture.

So I don't have all the answers but maybe a couple more..... Hope this helps.

R..

Attachments

• exp500.jpg
    exp500.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Great stuff, thanks. I was wondering what that valve on the back was for. It appears to do nothing if the bottle isn't mated to anything. I'll give it a try off one of my tanks. From what I know of the origins, this may have come by way of Lausanne, Switzerland - that may explain the possibly French markings and valve (though the other side of the valve reads "Italia"). Maybe Seemann has some manufacturing done in France. I've seen the descriptions of the AP Valves' BCs and lift bags - maybe some manufacturer on the continent made similar setups.

So if I can find a valve for it, I've got a 3.3 cu ft 3000 psi spare air bottle? That might be interesting to try... I just took a 1/2" valve off an old steel tank to look inside, I'll compare the threads to the valve on this bottle, and inspect the inside. I suppose I should double-check with Seemann or someone exactly what thread size this is before putting another valve on it. If I don't keep it, I'll check over on those vintage gear links in case anyone thinks it would be useful to them.

Mike

Definitely not US 1/2" thread. I did a quick Google for "metric yoke" and didn't come up with anything. Does anyone know if there is such a thing, and who might supply it? I've contacted Seemann-sub, and H2Odyssey since they appear to make a combination 1st/2nd stage reg. Somewhere I got the impression that yoke valves are used to some extent in 'metric' countries - is there a metric yoke valve, or are they all 3/4" threads even on tanks sold in metric markets?

You lost me.

Are you looking for a regulator to fit that valve or are you looking for a new valve?

R..

I'd settle for either, but figured I'd be more likely to find a standard yoke valve with metric threads than a first stage that would mount to a male DIN. I was wondering what they put on tanks sold in the EU and elsewhere, are they the same 3/4" threaded yoke valves that we buy here, or do they have a metric version? I mentioned H2Odyssey because they make first stages that thread right into the bottle, makes for a little more compact setup. Their 2nds either thread directly into the 1st or via a standard LP hose. I haven't seen their hardware in person, but it looks right for what I want. I doubt they have a 1st with metric threads but thought I'd ask.

I wonder if I could get a step-down thread adapter, from 3/4" to the metric? Probably cheaper just to buy a small pony bottle...

Hmm, I've also got a 1.7 cu ft. Spare Air, I could check into adapting that reg to this bottle.

Ok now I understand what you're after.

You're not going to find a regulator that will screw into that male fitting. You need to replace the pilar valve with a new one. Depending on the age of the bottle and if it was really intended to be used as a scuba cylinder (which I think it was but i'm not 10000% sure) the threads could be 3/4 nps or something else.

Your best bet is to mail the serial number of the bottle to the manufacturer and ask them the size of the neck threads so you know what to do. I'm afraid my knowledge of these things isn't extensive enough to really give you a firm answer so I'm just telling you what I would do in order to be sure.

Whatever you do, don't rush. Make 100% sure you put the right pilar valve on it because I'd feel terrible if you put the wrong one on and it popped off at a bad moment. If it hit you it would be like getting shot at close range by a canon.

Good luck.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom