Need help identifying this dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mooring at the beginning looks like HMC wall. The only place at Turneffe with so much sea grass is between Snake Point and Crickozeen and North of Blue Creek but no moorings nor canyons there.

From what I've been able to see of the video with the dreadful internet here it certainly looks like HMC wall to me, not anywhere on Turneffe. That's mainly from what is visible underwater.

In any case, I don't think "outer reef" in the context of Turneffe actually means anything at all.

Thanks everyone - if one were to NOT do the blue hole/HMC dives - are there any other, similar wall dives and/or canyons near AC or CC? how does Turneffe compare to this - is it that much inferior? Staying at Caye Caulker for a few days before heading to Placencia, and am already booked for Hol Chan this Friday, but wanted to check out another dive site while at CC (other than BH/HMC). Any recommendations? How is Sargeant's Caye, or St. George's Caye? Turneffe North/Elbow? Or a night dive?

What are you doing once in Placencia? It's a long haul to the reef from there, but there's good diving (which I haven't done). I have dived fairly extensively in the Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, from a base on Thatch Caye, and there they have wall dives which are not far short of those you'll find at the atolls.

While at CC I'd simply go with the flow. Dive the BH if you want, as it's much further if you do it from Placencia (if you can), but otherwise do whatever "local" diving is on offer. You won't have much opportunity to pick and choose anyway - you'll go wherever the boat's going.

If there's a night dive on offer by all means do it if you like night dives, or if you've never done one before. It'll be in Hol Chan, so it'll help if you've done a day dive there beforehand. Max depth 25-30ft, but it's tidal so there may be a current, in either direction. If it's outgoing and not too strong (if it's really strong the dive will be called off) just don't go beyond the point where the flat sandy bottom starts to slope up and become rockier. And remember the technique for swimming against a current.

If you don't already have a dive operator, go with Belize Diving Services. Vey capable & professional, and you'll have a good time.

I have seen Frenchies out at Vicente (NW Turneffe) several times. Belize Diving Services is the only other CC operator I have seen regularly out there but they usually have a lot more people on their boat. Big Fish also know the area, really great walls starting at 35' with plenty of marine life. If your budget allows I would recommend you give Turneffe a shot and send us a report.

Safe diving
Cyberdyver

What are you doing once in Placencia? It's a long haul to the reef from there, but there's good diving (which I haven't done). I have dived fairly extensively in the Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, from a base on Thatch Caye, and there they have wall dives which are not far short of those you'll find at the atolls.

While at CC I'd simply go with the flow. Dive the BH if you want, as it's much further if you do it from Placencia (if you can), but otherwise do whatever "local" diving is on offer. You won't have much opportunity to pick and choose anyway - you'll go wherever the boat's going.

If there's a night dive on offer by all means do it if you like night dives, or if you've never done one before. It'll be in Hol Chan, so it'll help if you've done a day dive there beforehand. Max depth 25-30ft, but it's tidal so there may be a current, in either direction. If it's outgoing and not too strong (if it's really strong the dive will be called off) just don't go beyond the point where the flat sandy bottom starts to slope up and become rockier. And remember the technique for swimming against a current.

If you don't already have a dive operator, go with Belize Diving Services. Vey capable & professional, and you'll have a good time.

Thank you Peter - I'm in Placencia primarily for the whale sharks - going with Avadon Divers (haven't dove with them yet, but communication with them has been outstanding! I'd contacted SeaHorse too, TWICE, but never heard back from them). Budget permitting I might try to squeeze in a trip to Laughing Bird Caye or the Silk Cayes, but if not, will probably do a snorkel trip instead. I'd REALLY love to go to Glover's, but that would be pushing it, money-wise. As for CC, am confirmed for Hol Chan and a snorkel day trip with the Raggamuffins, but am otherwise open. I've never done a night dive so that's definitely something i'd like to do. I've been in touch w/Frenchie's so depending on how everything goes at Hol Chan I'll probably stick with them. I'm fairly sure I'm not going to do the BH because I'm still a baby diver, but not completely ruling it out - if that is in fact Half Moon Cay wall in that video I posted it just looks flat out amazing.

Even if it isn't HMC wall it certainly looks like it, and many people reckon it's the best dive in Belize. The dive that usually follows, Long Caye wall ending at The Aquarium, is also superb.

I'm hearing consistently good reports on Avadon so post your findings here. Seahorse have always been good but your communication problem is all too common with them. A good way for them to shoot themselves in the foot! They also have another problem currently, in that the earthquake levelled their dock and building down to the water.

On CC Frenchies have a good name so I'd go with them with confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom