Need help identifying Mares MR22 "version"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldnwet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I have access to a really good deal on a MR22 DFC 1st stage and Abyss 2nd stage but dont know what vintage it is or if it will be serviceable and make a good setup, from what I know its somewhere between 12 and 15 years old and has been sitting in a box for the last 5 plus years.

serial number on the 1st stage is E38518, are any of you reg guru's out there able to determine if that is good reg to pick and be able to have rebuilt and put back into service, or should I just hold out for an MR22T?
I just want to make sure that this isnt one of the early regs that potentially has parts that arent replaceable or servicable.

Thanks
Paul
image2_50.jpg

Last edited:
Mares started making that version in the late 90s. I have no idea of the serviceability I sold ours in 2006.

Thanks!
got all the details on it, manufactured in 1996, purchased in 1997, dived with till 2003, then put away for the last 13ish years.
the 1st stage was immaculate, cover on the 2nd was a bit tired and octo is for the bin.
anyway scored it for $50 and the LDS is gonna rebuild it, put on a new(used) octo and SPG all for $300 (canadian to boot)

should hopefully serve me well!
cheers
Paul

I'm diving the exact same 1st and 2nd stage you showing and they are bulletproof. Dived everything from cold freshwater lakes at altetude to the hot waters of the Arab Gulf and tropical Maldives and they just keep on performing. Once had to adjust the dynamic flow and it's a real easy adjustment to make.
According to Mares the "new" Abbyss 2nd stage has only had a cosmetic remake, it is still the same unit to day as it was. I've actually sold one of my sets to a buddy the other day and regret it immediatly as I'm lost for a replacement now.

Thanks!
got all the details on it, manufactured in 1996, purchased in 1997, dived with till 2003, then put away for the last 13ish years.
the 1st stage was immaculate, cover on the 2nd was a bit tired and octo is for the bin.
anyway scored it for $50 and the LDS is gonna rebuild it, put on a new(used) octo and SPG all for $300 (canadian to boot)

should hopefully serve me well!
cheers
Paul

How were you able to find out the year of manufacture from the serial number??

Thanks,

Ken

Good to keep another 'classic' happily divin'!

I'm diving the exact same 1st and 2nd stage you showing and they are bulletproof. Dived everything from cold freshwater lakes at altetude to the hot waters of the Arab Gulf and tropical Maldives and they just keep on performing. Once had to adjust the dynamic flow and it's a real easy adjustment to make.
According to Mares the "new" Abbyss 2nd stage has only had a cosmetic remake, it is still the same unit to day as it was. I've actually sold one of my sets to a buddy the other day and regret it immediatly as I'm lost for a replacement now.
hello, i have that 1st stage i got used still in excellent shape , but being in the military i lost the dfc port plug , any idea where i can find it i live in the north east and have not been able to find it. Other then some lds asking for a crazy $ amount for it. also you mentioned adjusting the dfc. could explain that to me. greatlly appreciate any help.

I am still using two MR22 first stages as my regular regs for day to day diving every week.

Great regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom