Need help identifying Florida flounder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what it is, and you know a lot more about differences between the species than I do.

However, not showing the blue color doesn't disqualify it at a peacock flounder.

The peacock flounder I've seen further south in the Caribbean blend in with the sand and don't show any blue color until you approach them. Then the ring patterns light up.

One of my marine biologist colleagues down in Broward County has suggested another paralichthyid, the "summer flounder", Paralichthys dentatus. It's much more common north further up the U.S. east coast, but does occasionally wander down into South Florida. Most of my training is in Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico fishes so this species is not one I'm familiar with, but maybe some folks here on scubaboard have seen/fished this thing before and can compare it to my photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom