need help Identifying a first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I would like it if someone here could Identify the first stage in the pic because I dont know what it is. I picked it up a while back for cheap and have used it on my pony and have had no problems with it. I am planning on buying a new rig for my pony system and would like to know what make this first stage is in case I get rid of it. All I can tell you is that it is old and it says it is made in the U.S.A on the knob and there is a serial # on it something like b55622. take a look at the pic and see if you can id it.

Rooster,
That's an old AMF regulator. It's the original version of the Mares MR 12 (MR 10?, I think). I worked on many of them 86-90. It's an excellent diaphram first stage, and should hold up well. You should be able to get a complete rebuild kit for it from Mares. I believe they still stock them. The only true weak point is the fixed yoke. If I can find the EXACT model number, I'll post it.
-Tom

Originally posted by Tm530
Rooster,
That's an old AMF regulator. It's the original version of the Mares MR 12 (MR 10?, I think). I worked on many of them 86-90. It's an excellent diaphram first stage, and should hold up well. You should be able to get a complete rebuild kit for it from Mares. I believe they still stock them. The only true weak point is the fixed yoke. If I can find the EXACT model number, I'll post it.
-Tom

I got the exact # for it. Are you saying that this first stage is worth keeping for a pony bottle?

If you can get a rebuild kit for it form Mares (a US Divers/Aqualung HP seat may even work in it), then it's certainly usable. I'm never one to go against upgrading to new gear, so I won't say NOT to get a newer reg for your pony. If it's a matter of economy and you can get ahold of the rebuild kit, keep using it. If you can't get a rebuild on it, retire it to filling tires and blowing up beach balls. I actually used that exact first stage for many years as my "bench" reg with an attached bc hose and air gun to dry off parts, etc at the shop. There's nothing wrong with using an older reg, as long as it's in good shape and can be regularly serviced. I still use a 1974 Conshelf XII as a spare reg (2 LP ports, 1 HP port, otherwise identical to a Conshelf XIV). I even have a DIN adapter for it!
If you can't find any one to scare up the parts I may be able to do some looking around.
-Tom

DO you have the original second stage for that reg? If so, post a pick.
Tom

Originally posted by Tm530
DO you have the original second stage for that reg? If so, post a pick.
Tom

yep the original second I have never used, it free flows. it is old and says AMF and swim master

If it's intact, it probably just needs a new low pressure seat (a Conshelf one will probably fit). They breathe VERY nicely due to the bypass tube built into the second stage. Post a pic when you have a chance.
Tom

If I can add....

Be careful with this old AMF...the one-piece yoke and body is not rated for hp tanks (ie 3000 psi) and should only be used with low pressure (2400-2650 psi)

If this seems like needless paranoia, let me just say that there is still a big hole in my flow bench where the yoke screw from a similar reg went through.

I do not endorse using non-OEM parts in regulator overhaul, and I take no responsibility for any problems you may encounter, but....

For fit on the 2nd stage seat, try a Sherwood seat. For a 1st stage seat, a Conshelf will fit, but will not work well with the orifice due to the greater orifice size and angle. I suggest a Mares VN16 hp seat, or better yet, the seat out of a Dacor Pacer 260 (part #0217-05). You may also have to change the balance chamber and balance spring to make it work.

An interesting project, but I don't advise using the reg unless you can get the proper parts.

Back
Top Bottom