Need help from Californians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what this creature is in front of the blackeyed goby?
It was at about 50 fsw just off Anacapa in the Channel Islands.
Is it just a brittle star in a weird orientation?

smallfish.JPG

Thanks

Yes, it's a brittle star. Was there a strong current? Many ophiuroids are switch hitters when it comes to feeding. If the current is strong they will hold their arms up in the water & catch whatever is floating by. When the current is down the arms stretch along the bottom to pick up food.

LeslieH:
Yes, it's a brittle star. Was there a strong current? Many ophiuroids are switch hitters when it comes to feeding. If the current is strong they will hold their arms up in the water & catch whatever is floating by. When the current is down the arms stretch along the bottom to pick up food.
Thanks.. I didn't know that about starfish.
I don't remember there being much of a current .. a bit of a surge nearer the shore though.
There are so many new things to see in the sea. Just lovin' it!
I can remember the first time I realized that I was looking at the eating end of a burrowing sea cucumber when I thought I was looking at anemone's.

LeslieH:
Confirmed.

It looks like the brittle star Ophiopsilla californica. Although Gotshall's Guide to Marine Invertebrates states they are found in "central California," I see them off Catalina at many dive sites, often in significant numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom