Need Help For Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a couple people that dive Docs Pro Plugs (vented) and love them. I have been on dives where it could take 5 minutes for the diver to get to depth due to clearing issues where with the plugs, just a bit slower than me and I can typically descend pretty fast if I want. I said it before, to the OP....try these plugs. I believe you will not regret it.

Think of the long term consequences of taking drugs, avoid taking non-natural fixes like Sudafed and Afrin.

Vented Doc's Proplugs are made for diving. Check your PADI manual. The Proplugs are non-invasive, hypoallergenic, and latex free. They will help you equalize more efficiently, and help protect against ear infections.

Thank you for your interest. If you wish to talk further, please give us a call.

Cheers.

Doc's

800-521-2982
:coffee:

There are as many ways to approach this as there are divers with this problem. I have been a dive Instructor for over 25 years and I still get new problems and new solutions. I always suggest a quick check out at the Dr. whenever somebody has a problem it is the safest thing to do. I also tell them about all the issues that have come up in the past and the "most common" solutions that worked so they can ask the Dr. during their visit.
Bottom line no solution will work for everyone but the best success has been from the Doc's pro plugs, Sudafed PE, Claritan and for others just by changing their decent was enough to fix things.
I teach decending and ascending at an angle to increase the distance traveled and slow the rate of each. This seems to be the easiest to control, but a diver using an anchor or float line can do the same thing by holding on and going slower. Remember a preventive trip to your GP or ENT can solve the problem or just give you piece of mind that nothing IS really wrong.

You can also try talking to your dentist.

I had problems with ears for the first three years of diving. Saw ENT after ENT. Tried various steriods. ENTs kept saying that there was nothing wrong with my ears but they always felt 'under pressure' on land. Since I had bad bi-lateral (both ears) middle ear barotrauma when I first started I was uncomfortable with diving if my ears were bothering me.

Turned out it was an issue with my TMJ (actually muscles of the jaw). 6 weeks of physio and the problems all gone. Turned out that inflamation in the jaw muscles was causing inflamation in the eustacian tubes.

Follow doctors advice and don't use home remedies especially for new divers and kids.

Hi guys!

This is a follow-up to my prior post (#17) in this thread.

The DAN health information help line was very helpful. The person I spoke with thought my boyfriend's equalization issues may have been due to scarring from frequent ear infections as a child or possibly due to a deviated septum causing pressure build-up and impeded clearing on the affected side (his TM perforation was on the same side that his nose was usually stuffy or "whistling").

He was seen by an ENT several weeks before our last dive trip. She thought his Eustachian tube dysfunction could possibly be exacerbated by seasonal allergies and gave him a Depo-medrol (steroid) injection to help clear up any inflammation before the trip. She also suggested saline sinus irrigation (to help clear up nasal secretions), phenylephrine (sudafed PE) tablets the night before and morning of diving and a nasal decongestant spray (either Afrin/oxymetazoline or neosynephrine), used in the standard manner, just prior to diving.

She hadn't heard of Docs Proplugs, but we went ahead and got him fitted for them (you can do this at your local dive shop) and got him a pair of the vented plugs.

Using a combination of the above techniques (steroid shot 3 weeks before trip, sudafed tablets, Afrin or phenylephrine nasal spray, Docs Proplugs), along with a slow, controlled descent along an anchor line, he did GREAT. No TM perforations on this trip with 8 dives and minimal to no ear discomfort while descending.

Next time, I think we'll skip the steroid injection and just try a combination of the over the counter methods, the vented Docs Proplugs and a slow and controlled descent.

We're both working on alternative pressure equalization measures (not just the pinch your nose and blow method, which can cause abrupt high pressure changes across the TM and increase the risk of perforation). A great video for this can be found here.

I highly recommend being evaluated by an ENT if you have recurring ear problems as he or she will be able to diagnose any underlying medical conditions or anatomic abnormalities and help you manage any contributing factors. For the sake of safety, please follow your doctor's advice.

Yes, this can be frustrating. I find the less anxious I am the easier it is to equalize. A heads up position is best, going slowly and equalizing immediately upon descent. I also try to equalize on the surface before descending. Some peoples tubes aren't as open as others or the shape of the tube is not optimal as my doctor explained. I've just been to the ENT recently since rupturing my ear drum descending while freediving. A trip to the doc is recommended. She/he might recommend the divers cocktail of Advil and Sudafed.

Turned out it was an issue with my TMJ (actually muscles of the jaw). 6 weeks of physio and the problems all gone. Turned out that inflamation in the jaw muscles was causing inflamation in the eustacian tubes.

Hi Andrew, could you tell us more about the physio you had? I think this could be part of my issue. You can send me a PM if that's easier.
Thanks! Nikki

Back
Top Bottom