Need help fixing my Terkel 10W HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I busted the bulb, or screwed up the balast on my Terkel 10W HID a few weeks ago. I sent in email to the address on his website, but haven't heard anything back?

What's the best way to contact him now to take a look at my light?

Or maybe someone here can fix it for me? Basically I turned it one before the dive to confirm it was working, clipped it off onto my shoulder D-Ring, and did a giant stride off the boat (I now know not to do this!) I then noticed it was out, and it hasn't worked since. I think when I entered the water, the light head must have slapped up against my shoulder and busted something? When I try to turn it on, I see a blue arc for a moment and then nothing... Does this sound like a bulb or a balast problem?

Help, I miss my light. :(

Oooh, that would be sooo nice if that was it!

Can I just unscrew it and try? Anything to be carfull of, don't want to make matters worse.

If that isn't the problem, does it otherwise sound like I busted the bulb?

It sounds like a loose bulb... not a broken bulb or a fried ballast. As for unscrewing it and opening it up... I don't have a Terkel but I seem to remember one of the first prototypes on a dive years back that didn't have the bezel ring screwed in (yes, it flooded) so, I would suggest that if your model has an internal bezel ring holding the glass in then you should be able to unscrew it, remove the glass (careful... don't drop it... you can't get parts any longer afaik) and then push the bulb back in. Be sure to reinstall the glass and take care not to cross thread the bezel ring when screwing it back down. I can't remember how Terkel had the thing sealed but if there is an o-ring or two make sure they are in good shape, clean and lightly shined up with silicone lube.

On second thought... perhaps you should remove the reflector and then remove the bulb altogether to check for corrosion on the pins. The bulb is a standard WA 10w and the glass tube is just a protective cover for the HID tube inside of it. The outer protective tube has small holes around its base for cooling air to ingress/egress. Even if there were a crack in this outer tube your light should still work.

JasonH20:
Oooh, that would be sooo nice if that was it!

Can I just unscrew it and try? Anything to be carfull of, don't want to make matters worse.

If that isn't the problem, does it otherwise sound like I busted the bulb?
Call me ...

... if it's just a loose bulb, I can show you how to get into the light head and safely tighten it.

... if it's a busted bulb, I have a spare.

... if it's anything else, I can loan you my Terkel light till yours gets fixed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hmm, want to meet up for a dive this week? :) Thursday night?

Can't make it this week ... helping out with an ITC.

PM sent ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
if it's a busted bulb, I have a spare.
I have a couple spare bulbs now, too. :( I had the bulb pop out on me a couple times, it's easy to fix. Bob'll learn ya how. :)

Jimmie

OK, I just unscrewed the light head to check it out. No problem there, it came right apart. There are 2 rubber seals, and both look great, no gunk or anything in there (I've never had any problems with flodding). Upon inspection of the bulb though, it became immediatly apperent that the bulb is busted. :(
busted.jpg

I'm planning to dive this weekend with a friend, so I'd really like to get a replacement asap. Is there a place local I can pick one up or order online and have it overnighted? What's the actual part number for the bulb? Bob or Jimmie, if your willing to meet up before Friday, I'll buy one of your spares for whatever the going rate is (or replace the bulb back to you once I get a replacement)

Thanks!
Jason

You can order them through LeisurePro ... SKU: UKTRBLC
... $65.

You can probably pick one up anywhere they sell Light Cannons (it's the same bulb).

Or, you can drive to Fifth Dimension tonight and I'll leave you my spare bulb. I'll be there between 5 and 6 PM, and the store's open till 7 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom