Need help finding where to dive when starting in Tokyo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robstrash

Registered
Reaction score
Wife has a business trip to Tokyo in late August (going into early Sep). I am thinking of tagging along and we'll spend a few days after her meetings to see Tokyo. I suggested that we then go someplace to do some diving for a few days as well (maybe 5 days or so). We don't want to spend too much money as planning on doing an Australia live-aboard in summer 2009. Therefore, was thinking live-aboard would be too much for this trip (but not sure).

One issue is that since wife is going for work, she will most likely have work buy a round-trip JFK-NRT (Tokyo Narita airport) ticket and then she'll buy a ticket from NRT-diving and back. Therefore, we want someplace that is somewhat easy to get to from NRT. We are not big into wreck dives and wife loves photography. We like seeing sea life (e.g. fish) and wife prefers macro shots.

I've done some very quick glancing and not sure where to go. Bali seems nice and appears to have a direct flight on JL from NRT. I am probably going to use award miles so prefer places you can get to via OneWorld carriers (Japan, Cathay Pacific and their subsidiaries).

Looking for any comments from people here familiar with Asia diving. We learned to dive in Monterey CA and don't do cold water diving any more so has to be someplace warm. Our favorite dive spot so far has been Maui (been 4 times).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Turns out we are going to skip scuba on this trip and just hang around Tokyo for 3 days. My parents booked a Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving so we'll use our vacation to join them on the cruise and get some diving in.

Thanks.

Too bad you are skipping diving, Okinawa is a just a short flight away, the water is quite warm (that time of year in the high 70's or 80'sF), macro life abundant along with a few large critters to keep it exciting. If you change your mind think Okinawa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom