Need help diagnosing a problem with my HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After fiddling with it for a few days, I decided to send it back to LM for a LED upgrade. I think the only reliable way to fix the problem would be to replace bulb, ignitor, ballast, so it's not worth it. LM is being really good about the new light head.

I finally got the new 20W LED head from light monkey, and although it ended up costing more than they first quoted me (which I was pretty annoyed about) it does appear to be way brighter than my 21W HID lamp, and the best part is that it works! The specs claim to have 4700 lumens with 315 minutes of burn time. I find that a bit unbelievable, but we'll see. That's triple the lumens of my HID bulb with a bit more burn time. Is that possible?

I'll miss the character of my HID lamp and wouldn't mind getting an old salvo (they're very cheap these days) to play around with. Maybe I'll start to get into DIY with 'obsolete' lights like I have with regulators.

Back
Top Bottom