Need help choosing first dive computer Leonardo vs DG-03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaPhil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

New diver here and looking for my first dive computer. I have narrowed the field down to what appears to be 2 fairly inexpensive options - I must budget because I'm assembling all my own gear right now and the bank balance only goes so far.

I need an easily readable face - I know things appear bigger underwater but my eyes are starting to go off (I'm in my early 50's and use +2 readers) and I'm concerned about being able to see the information. I'm only planning to do rec diving.

I can pick up a new Cressi Leonardo for $174 as part of a package from Divers Supply which seems to be a good discount from the stand alone price of $299.

Or, I can get the Hollis DG-03 from Dive Gear Express for $249 with the advantage that it can be upgraded to integrated air at a later date when funds permit. However, the display appears to be a little smaller than the Leonardo. Is that an accurate assessment?

[rant] I do wish the manufacturers would show images of the computer on wrists for a visual sizing check. [/rant]

Also, is the Hollis a 'better' computer than the Leonardo?

What are your thoughts / experiences?

Is there another computer I should consider?

Thanks

Last edited:
Any computer larger than a watch size is better, but for visibility nothing beats the much bigger OLED displays.

If the DG-03 was not already a 'better' computer for a number of reasons (air integration, 3 gas mode, Oceanic's general ability to get computer displays 'right'), then the mere fact that the DG-03 had the DSS bungie wrist mount available might make it worth it.

Thanks Beano. Still looking for a photo of the Hollis on a wrist to gauge digit size. There are plenty of photos of the Leonardo....

Actually there is a DSS mount for the Leonardo too - same one as fits the Cressi Archimedes, so that isn't a deciding factor for me.

..., then the mere fact that the DG-03 had the DSS bungie wrist mount available might make it worth it.

I saw a similar comment when I posted about my search for a DC a few months back. I happened to settle for the DG03, but the $20 extra I paid for the bungee mount are a complete waste.

Care to explain why you love this bungee mount more than the DC itself? :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7000

From what I understand Pearlman bungee mounts are to be preferred to wrist mounts due to the increased security. Apparently some straps can come undone whereas a double bungie mount - 2 separate pieces of bungie cord - provide increased security. But I can't answer for beanojones.

I saw a similar comment when I posted about my search for a DC a few months back. I happened to settle for the DG03, but the $20 extra I paid for the bungee mount are a complete waste.

Care to explain why you love this bungee mount more than the DC itself? :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7000

Added security, you have a redundant strap.
Makes putting on and taking off a breeze especially wearing thicker gloves.
Depth compensating.

IMO a bungee mount is superior in everyway.

Care to explain why you think it's "a complete waste"? Cheers.

Here's a decent picture:

WHAT'S NEW / DG03 DC

Looking at that one, the computer is a corporate twin of the Aeris XR-1, which is not as easy to read as, say the Oceanic Veo computers are, because of that bar across the lower half of the display. I have some Oceanic Veo140s, Oceanic Veo100s, Mares PuckPros, and one Aeris XR-1 that are all used for rental, and people tend to like the XR-1 display the least, and people tend to find the Veo displays easiest to read. And that goes along with my own feelings about the displays. Veo100 easiest to read, then Mares Puck Pro, and last the XR-1. In fact, I basically never put the XR-1 on my wrist because of the display, and I gladly use the other three without a thought. I used to have some Mares Pucks in my rental fleet but did not like that display as much as the PuckPro which is a huge step forward from the Puck.

In fact, that Mares Puck Pro is the best low end computer in many ways because they are no restricting themselves to the 'Puck" shape that the other computers are restricting themselves to, and the display ends up much larger overall, though the NDL digits themselves are about the same size as the Oceanic Veo 100/Veo140. And it is the only low end wrist computer whose strap I am not immediately feeling like I have to change out.**

Unfortunately I do not have any Cressi's in rental to give direct feedback on, but they are based on the puck shape it seems.

It seems worth pointing out that according to Oceanic's website, the DG-03 is discontinued, and the usual history of Oceanic (and thus Hollis, and Aeris) computers says they will get pretty steeply discounted after they are discontinued. The DiveGear Express price may already be taking that into account.

** Someone mentioned that there is a DSS mount for the DG-03? I'd take seven of them if the Veo fit in them. (It does not according to DSS's website) The Oceanic (Hollis, Aeris) wrist straps are annoying, insecure bits of poop. All it takes is one pin to fail and the computer goes missing, and the strap simply does not work right, in the way the bungie mount does, in the way the Mares Puck Pro strap does.

The more one deals with badly designed straps and well designed one used together, the more one appreciates well-designed one.

Yes, agree, I won't buy a computer unless it fits a bungee mount or can be fitted with bungee. Most pin straps suck #%^*. Lose a .02cent pin and you could lose a >several hundred $ computer, I've seen it happen.

Thanks beanojones for the feedback and the photo of the DG-03 - it's bigger than I thought but I am still concerned that the display is not easily readable. Your comments would seem to confirm that.

I had considered the Puck Pro but ruled it out on cost basis but I really like the full display. No DSS mount though. And said to be very conservative. I don't want to be 'that guy' who is ending everyone elses dive early...

In your opinion, what makes the wrist strap on the Mares superior?

Thanks beanojones for the feedback and the photo of the DG-03 - it's bigger than I thought but I am still concerned that the display is not easily readable. Your comments would seem to confirm that.

I had considered the Puck Pro but ruled it out on cost basis but I really like the full display. No DSS mount though. And said to be very conservative. I don't want to be 'that guy' who is ending everyone elses dive early...

In your opinion, what makes the wrist strap on the Mares superior?

Well here's the 'problem' with the PuckPro: Basically because of the location of the one button on the one button, you have to use the strap that comes with it, because it is one piece design.

Maybe because of that, they made the strap really, really nice. It's got a really nice feel to it, the length does not have to be cut down for the strap to be manageable, a wrist mounted cutter like the Trilobite* fits great on the flat wide strap, etc. Because the computer itself does not have the high wart shape actual 'puck' computers, it pretty much does not ever end up catching on things, which is in practice where the pin get popped out.

But in the end, it does have the same flaw in that the tang pin is a failure point that can cause tha loss of the computer. It simply does not really catch on things though. The old Mares Puck did, and all of the actual puck shaped computer do, so they really need something like the DSS mount.

Trilobite: EEZYCUT® Professional Line Cutting Tools - Dive Gear Express

** adding info: I am staring at the PuckPro, and it looks like I could manage to get it mounted with bungies with fairly minor surgery. But as noted above the low profile design and the nice strap design have not caused the problems that the wart like 'puck' design of the others causes.

Bungie mounting would still be more secure though.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom